- Mechanical Engineering
- Hullavington - United Kingdom
This role sits within the Motors, Powers and Electronic Systems Research team within our Automotive function.
AccountabilitiesReporting to the Mechanical Research Manager, you will join a growing team of mechanical engineers in Dyson’s Strategy & Research Group focusing on the next generation of advanced / high performance electric motors for low cost/high volume domestic/commercial applications.
- Stretch the boundaries of speed, power density and efficiency in electric motor systems in a number of different applications.
- Have the ability to understand the overall product concept and contribute significantly to the design of the product through the use of expert knowledge of the latest technologies / methods in the industry.
- Meet target specifications such as cost, size, weight and efficiency within the planned timeline of each research project.
- Deliver mechanical solutions that are reliable and fit for purpose in order to satisfy life requirements, help achieve product guarantee periods and comply with all relevant International Standards.
- Generate innovative solutions with strong & high value IP for Dyson products.
- Work closely with other engineering disciplines to ensure that the product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met, all within the planned timeline of the project.
- Communicate clearly and effectively the results and project status to a broad spectrum of associated project members and senior management.
- Have the ability to assess and handle supplier relationships, undertaking technical and commercial negotiations, maintaining confidence in BoM and assembly costs throughout a project .
- Create plans and manage your own time using planning tools such as Microsoft Project and make sure this is integrated into the overall project plan.
- Minimum BEng/MEng degree (2:1 degree or better) in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in the design and development of mechanical systems.
- Expert knowledge of the analysis of mechanical systems, including Finite Element techniques.
- Ability to develop mathematics based models for performance prediction, design and analysis
- Sound knowledge of rotordynamic analysis techniques and tools
- Experience in a broad range of bearing technologies including but not limited to rolling element
- Ability to use 3D computer aided design (CAD) software packages
- Strong technical expertise with extensive breadth and depth covering materials selection (including composites), design for fatigue and fracture mechanics, high speed rolling element bearing applications, thermal assessment and development of calculation / simulation methods & tools
- Appreciation of other engineering disciplines such aerodynamics, thermodynamics, and electrical, electronics and electromagnetic systems
- Ability to specify system components to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
- DFMEA, failure analysis/problem solving capability
- Ability to devise lab based measurement techniques and have a strong command of analysis software and equipment for component and system level characterisation and validation
- Ability to work across a number of different projects and platforms simultaneously
- Strong “design-for-manufacture” mentality to deliver low cost, high volume, high performance and reliable mechanical system solutions
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing techniques of parts (moulding / machining) and common issues with these plus experience in automated assembly techniques
- Appreciation of complying to national, European and Worldwide regulations and legislation
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidized café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines