- Mechanical Engineering, Motors and Power Systems, Research Engineering
- United Kingdom
Reporting to the Mechanical Research Manager, you will join a growing team of mechanical engineers in Dyson’s Technical Research Group. Your focus will be to understand and overcome the mechanical challenges associated with the design of next generation power systems.
• Have the ability to understand the overall product concept and contribute significantly to the design of the product through the use of expert knowledge of the latest technologies / methods in the industry. Meet target specifications such as cost, size, weight and efficiency within the planned timeline of each research project that would contribute to a great product.
• Apply your knowledge to predict and validate the behaviour of designs comprised of complex materials, including composites and electrochemically active materials.
• Deliver mechanical solutions that are reliable and fit for purpose in order to satisfy life requirements, help achieve product guarantee periods and comply with all relevant International Standards. • Generate innovative solutions with strong & high value IP.
• Work closely with other engineering disciplines to ensure that the product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met, within the planned timeline of the project.
• Communicate clearly and effectively the results and project status to a broad spectrum of associated project members and senior management.
• Have the ability to assess and handle supplier relationships both from a technical and commercial perspective, maintaining confidence in BoM and assembly costs throughout a project.
• Create plans and manage your own time using planning tools such as Microsoft Project and make sure this is integrated into the overall project plan.
Education and experience:
• Minimum BEng/MEng degree (2:1 degree or better) in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in the design and development of mechanical systems.
Minimum technical experience and knowledge:
• Specification, Analysis & Design:
- Expert knowledge of the design & analysis of mechanical systems, including Finite Element techniques for structural, fatigue, vibration, shock, thermo-mechanical and acoustic prediction.
- Ability to use 3D computer aided design (CAD) software packages.
- Strong technical expertise with extensive breadth and depth covering materials selection (including composites), design for fatigue and fracture mechanics, thermal assessment and development of calculation / simulation methods & tools.
- Understanding of structural non-linearity, including creep, relaxation, instability, contact and friction.
- Appreciation of other disciplines such electrochemistry, thermodynamics, CFD analysis and electrical, electronics and electromagnetic systems.
- Ability to specify system components to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
- Experience of FMEA, failure analysis/problem solving capability.
• Test and Validation:
- Ability to devise lab based measurement techniques and have a strong command of analysis software and equipment for component and system level characterisation and validation.
- Ability to design and execute material testing, including composite materials.
- Experience of managing external test suppliers.
- Ability to work autonomously, working across teams.
- Strong “design-for-manufacture” mentality to deliver low cost, high volume, high performance and reliable solutions.
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing techniques and common issues with these, ideally with experience in automated assembly techniques.
- Appreciation of complying to national, European and Worldwide regulations and legislation.
Essential behavioural skills:
• The ability to take a leadership position within a project with little direction.
• Good analytical ability and attention to detail.
• Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
• Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values that would result in great Dyson products.
• To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner.
• Excellent team working skills.