- Motors and Power Systems, Automotive, Mechanical Engineering, Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for a talented and experienced Senior Mechanical Engineer to join the Motors and Power Systems Research Team, within Dyson’s Research, Design and Development (RDD) department; based in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, U.K.
Reporting to the Mechanical Research Manager, you will join a growing team of multi-disciplined engineers in Dyson’s Technical Research Group. The role is focused on leading the integration of in-house and bought in cell technologies into complete battery packs for battery electric vehicles. The successful candidate will be expected to bring innovation to developing robust solutions that satisfy mechanical, thermal, manufacturability, electrical and regulatory requirements while considering the impact on performance, cost and life.
AccountabilitiesReporting to the Mechanical Manager, you will join a growing team of multi-disciplined engineers in Dyson’s Technical Research Group. The teams focus is on developing power system solutions for the full range of Dyson products, straddling both automotive and home categories. The successful candidate will be expected to bring innovation to developing robust solutions that satisfy mechanical, thermal, manufacturability, electrical and regulatory requirements while considering the impact on performance, cost and life. You will: * Develop innovative & novel concepts with high value IP. * Deliver robust design solutions that fulfil the fundamental design requirements, achieving world class levels of performance. * Understand and comply with relevant International Standards. * Be responsible for delivering parts, assemblies and systems from concept to proof of principle. Lead other engineering colleagues as required to support this. * Demonstrate a sound understanding of systems engineering principles to define, optimise and validate product performance. * Be a source of mechanical engineering expertise to advise on design, development, material, manufacturing, validation and test issues. * Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve efficiency * Have the ability to build and manage relationships both internally and externally with suppliers and academic bodies
SkillsEducation and experience:
* A degree in a relevant engineering or scientific discipline (2:1 degree or better) with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in the design and development of mechanical systems.
Minimum technical experience and knowledge:
* Sound understanding of mechanical design principles * Working knowledge of 3D computer aided design (CAD) techniques * Competent in the use of analytical techniques, including Finite Element Analysis * An appreciation of other engineering disciplines such aerodynamics, thermodynamics and electrical, electronic and electromagnetic systems * Ability to apply systems engineering principles to translate fundamental business / system requirements into system design definition and sub-system / component requirements. * Understanding of technical risk management processes including Functional / Design FMEA
* Appreciation of relevant motor technology, high speed rotating machinery experience or power system design (including energy storage) * Integrity assessment, design for dynamic loading and shock. * Understanding of rotordynamic design principles and balancing techniques * Appreciation of thermal systems design * Knowledge of a range of life prediction techniques, both for fatigue and fracture * Understanding of statistics and robust design techniques * Good understanding of materials science. * Knowledge of manufacturing techniques plus experience in the definition of manual and automated assembly processes * Appreciation of relevant national, European and Worldwide regulations and legislation * Knowledge of GD&T techniques
Essential behavioural skills:
* The ability to take a leadership position within a project with little direction * Technically lead teams of engineers * Good analytical ability and attention to detail * Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format * To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams.
27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
Performance related bonus
Free on-site parking
Subsidised café and restaurants
Discounts on Dyson machines