- Automotive, Mechanical Engineering, Motors and Power Systems, Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for a talented and experienced Senior Mechanical Engineer to join the Motors and Power Systems Research Team, within Dyson’s Research, Design and Development (RDD) department; based in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, U.K.
Reporting to the Mechanical Research Manager, you will join a growing team of multi-disciplined engineers in Dyson’s Technical Research Group. The role is focused on leading the integration of in-house and bought in cell technologies into complete battery packs for battery electric vehicles. The successful candidate will be expected to bring innovation to developing robust solutions that satisfy mechanical, thermal, manufacturability, electrical and regulatory requirements while considering the impact on performance, cost and life.
* Deliver robust battery pack design solutions that fulfil the fundamental design requirements, achieving world class levels of power density.
* Meet target specifications such as cost, size, weight and efficiency within the planned timeline
* Understand and comply with all relevant International Standards.
* Develop innovative & novel concepts with high value IP.
* Be responsible for delivering parts, assemblies and systems from concept to proof of principle (Technology Readiness Level 7).
* Demonstrate a sound understanding of systems engineering principles to define, optimise and validate product performance.
* Have the ability to understand the overall product concept and contribute significantly to influence its design through knowledge of the latest technologies & methods.
* Be a source of mechanical engineering expertise to advise on design, development, material, manufacturing, validation and test issues.
Education and experience:
* A degree in a relevant engineering or scientific discipline (2:1 degree or better) with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in the design and development of mechanical systems.
Minimum technical experience and knowledge:
* Good knowledge of 3D computer aided design (CAD) software packages,
* Strong knowledge of analytical techniques, including Finite Element Analysis (ideally Ansys, Altair HyperWorks)
* Extensive understanding of structural design principles, integrity assessment and design for dynamic loading and shock.
* Demonstrable knowledge of a range of life prediction techniques, both for fatigue and fracture, covering low and high cycle regimes.
* Sound level of thermal systems design knowledge
* Understanding of statistics and robust design techniques
* Good understanding of materials science.
* An appreciation of other engineering disciplines such aerodynamics, thermodynamics, CFD analysis and electrical, electronics and electromagnetic systems
* Ability to apply systems engineering principles to translate fundamental business / system requirements into system design definition and sub-system / component requirements.
* Understanding of technical risk management processes including Functional / Design FMEA
* Sound knowledge of manufacturing techniques plus experience in definition of manual and automated assembly processes
* Appreciation of relevant national, European and Worldwide regulations and legislation
* Sound knowledge of GD&T
27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
Performance related bonus
Free on-site parking
Subsidised café and restaurants
Discounts on Dyson machines