- Motors and Power Systems
- Singapore - Singapore
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re driven by progress and thrive on the challenge of relentless improvement. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people.
About the roleDyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals for a permanent Senior Motor Drives Engineer based in its Research, Design and Development (RDD) function in Singapore as part of the Motor Drives and Advanced Control (MDAC) Team.
The MDAC team is part of Dyson’s Global Hardware organisation and brings together deep, specialist knowledge and skill-sets to design and develop control algorithms and electromagnetic designs for use across a wide range of Dyson products. This is a global team with over 70 engineers based in the UK, Singapore, Malaysia and the Philippines. Examples of the work of MDAC include the electromagnetic and control system design of the Dyson Digital Motor, wide-ranging motion control schemes utilising commercial motors, heater control schemes and more specialist control systems and algorithms such as power control, battery pack state of charge and state of health. The team works from early development through to the production of our designs.
This is what we need you to do:
- Working closely with the global members of the MDAC team you will provide support through design, development and production phases of projects to help ensure that the Dyson Digital Motor or product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met, all within the planned timeline of the project.
- Be responsible for system characterisation and analysis such as hardware validation, control system validation, thermal mapping and user interaction. A large focus will be the development and analysis of the DDM control scheme and associated power systems.
- Complete analysis of production data, particularly from trial builds from motor and product manufacturing facilities to identify drift, issues, non-compliance and opportunities for process improvement and optimisation.
- Working with the Dyson Operation teams to be responsible for aspects of design, commissioning and trouble-shooting of complex production end of line test, tune, product calibration systems and functional testers as required by any new motor or product projects.
- Working with contract suppliers on Design for Manufacture and the correct supply of assemblies such as PCBAs during the development phases of projects ensuring that parts are delivered on time and to specification.
- Work closely with the test and validation teams in our Malaysia and Philippines facilities to develop test methods and ensure the correct operation of test equipment to ensure the accuracy and validity of testing.
- Responsible for Motor Drives aspects of FRACAS: completing root cause analysis of any failures of the motor or associated drive and control system at both product and motor level.
- Generate high-quality test reports and other documentation with all data and findings from all work undertaken.
- Assist, or lead where required, other engineers within the team with the creation and review of documents such as design schematics, design notes, FMEA, Failure analysis reports, technical review documents and part approval to ensure the lessons learned from manufacturing are captured.
- Be able to apply your skills to other areas of work and tasks within the business as may be required of you on occasion for the benefit of the wider team. This could include, but is not limited to, supplier liaison for issue resolution or audit, engineering design work, test rig building and production equipment commissioning.
About youThese are the essential skills we need you to have
- Strong communication and team working skills to be able to form a bridge between multiple teams of different disciplines working on a single, integrated product across multiple global sites.
- Design knowledge, formal training and experience in a range of aspects of electronics including some of: power electronics, motor control, battery management, analogue, digital and sensing technologies.
- Working knowledge of schematic capture, PCB layout and associated software.
- Working knowledge of the fundamentals of basic electromagnetic machine operation particularly single and multi-phase permanent magnet motors.
- An appreciation of motor control techniques for low and high speed, single-phase and multi-phase permanent magnet motors.
- Strong technical analysis skills and an ability to use standard laboratory equipment to set up experiments and to take precise measurements of motors and mains-referenced control systems to aid performance analysis, fault-finding and completion of GR&R testing.
- Strong statistical analysis skills to be able to gather data from multiple sources, including your own testing, to calculate such things as trends, drifts and probabilities to identify performance against specification or to show where things are starting to go wrong.
- Be flexible and open-minded to respond quickly to changes in project priorities. Be able to demonstrate sound theoretical knowledge, reasoning and problem solving skills in engineering.
- Be able to clearly report progress in meetings together with producing a high standard of documentation.
- Proactive and persistent nature demonstrated by an inquisitive approach.
- Be a creative thinker and problem solver; highly self-motivated and self-reliant with enthusiasm for motors, power systems and Dyson products.
- A good first degree in electrical/electronic engineering or equivalent, preferably with power electronics, machines, drives or control systems bias.
- For applicants from non-English speaking countries, proficiency in spoken and written English is mandatory.
These skills are desirable but not essential
- Experience with Design for Manufacture of power electronic or motor control systems for high-volume manufacture with associated validation to ensure a robust and reliable design taking all system tolerances into account.
- Experience with high-volume manufacturing environments and on-line measurement of system performance.
- Proficient use of data analysis tools such as Minitab.
- Formal Six Sigma or Lean Six Sigma qualification.
- Be proficient in the use of LabView to be able to maintain existing and create new programs.
- Experience with control system simulation using tools such as Matlab.
BenefitsDyson Singapore monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and bonuses. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy a transport allowance and comprehensive medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.