- Motors and Power Systems
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
The Senior Power Electronics role will involve:
• The design of motor inverters and control for brushless DC, servo and stepper motors.
• The design of heater control hardware and associated protection systems.
• Ensuring designs can comply with relevant EMC/EMI standards and modifying design where needed to ensure this is the case.
• Thermal management design of power electronics systems
• Design of both mains and battery powered electronics to meet global requirements.
• Power converter design.
• Working with different product teams to gain an in depth product understanding, while using knowledge of the latest technologies to create innovative power electronics systems and solutions.
• Research into new technology and investigating ways of incorporating this technology into future products.
• Use of simulation and PCB design software to create prototypes.
• Strong lab skills to build and test prototypes with minimal supervision.
• Line management of staff.
As a senior employee, the successful applicant will be expected to:
• Develop the concept, proving key technologies and demonstrating the system feasibility
• Produce clear, well written documentation prior to handover to the development teams
• Take technical responsibility for motor drive, heater control and associated power electronics content of a project. This may expand to the responsibility for multiple small concurrent projects, supported by a number of team members reporting to the Power Electronics Technical Leader and Research Manager for Power Electronics
• Demonstrate designs are safe, robust, cost effective and fit for purpose for a high volume manufacture environment, through detailed laboratory testing, simulation and analysis
• Assist in the personal development of junior team members.
Education and experience:
• Minimum BEng/MEng degree in Electrical & Electronic Engineering or other relevant discipline Minimum technical knowledge:
• Power Electronics: o Experience in motor inverter design and motor control, particularly brushless DC motors, servo or stepper motors
o Knowledge of heater control hardware, control schemes and heater protection approaches
o General knowledge of power electronic devices, including silicon based IGBTs and MOSFETs through to emerging wide bandgap technologies
o Understanding of device characteristics and issues with switching behaviour in real circuits as well as power switch driver design
o Device selection - Interpretation of datasheets and knowledge of design methods to confidently select the lowest cost devices while achieving reliability targets
o Knowledge and experience of using power hybrid modules and power SoC modules (e.g. drivers and power switches in one device)
o Thermal management approaches for surface mount and through hole devices
o SMPS and linear regulator power supply design o Design of power electronics for both low voltage and mains voltage systems
• Control circuit design:
o Excellent understanding of techniques for accurately monitoring small signals in high power, electrically noisy environments. o Excellent knowledge of non-ideal behaviour in analogue to digital converters, op-amps, comparators, voltage references etc. including ways to manage these non-ideal characteristics.
o Knowledge of ultra-low power circuits for maximising battery standby life.
• Design Tools:
o Schematic capture using Altium Designer, Mentor Graphics or other main stream tools
o Use of SPICE based simulation tools such as Simetrix and LTspice
o Design calculation tools such as Mathcad, Matlab, Excel.
• Design Techniques:
o Circuit simulation and tolerance analysis o Robust design including FMEA techniques
o Good quality engineering process understanding and appreciation
o Design for high volume manufacture
o PCB layout – size/cost minimisation while achieving layouts for inherently good EMC compliance and thermal design.
Essential behavioural skills:
• The ability to take a leadership position within a project
• Good analytical ability and attention to detail
• Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format
• Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values
• Ability to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams.
• Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritise tasks
• Excellent team working skills. Essential practical skills:
• Ability to build, test and modify prototypes accurately, safely and with minimal supervision
Additional experience that is desirable:
• Experience with Flowtherm or similar thermal modelling packages
• 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
• Pension scheme
• Performance related bonus
• Life assurance
• Sport centre
• Free on-site parking
• Subsidized café and restaurants
• Discounts on Dyson machines