- Hullavington - United Kingdom
Applicants for this particular role must have directly applicable experience in the aforementioned power electronics areas. The senior power electronics role will involve:
Working with the different research teams to gain an in depth product understanding, while using their expert knowledge of the latest technologies to create innovative power electronics systems and solutions
- The design of motor inverters, device selection, gate drive design, operating and protection strategies.
- The design of power supplies for a broad spectrum of potential applications and power ratings.
- Ensuring designs can comply with relevant EMC/EMI standards and modifying the design where needed to ensure this is the case.
- Specification of associated passive components, contactors, cables, connectors and fusing.
- Thermal management of power electronics systems.
- Design of both mains and battery powered electronics to meet global requirements. Whilst the Power Electronics team is responsible for supporting new products at initial design stages, a key focus for any successful applicant will be to research into new technology and look at innovative ways of incorporating this into future products. As a senior employee, a successful applicant will be expected to:
- Develop the concept, proving key technologies and demonstrating the system feasibility.
- Demonstrate designs are robust, cost effective and fit for purpose for a high volume manufacture environment, through detailed laboratory testing, simulation and analysis.
- Initiating the production intent solution and developing suitable documentation prior to handover to the development teams.
- Take technical responsibility for the power electronics content of a project. This may expand to the responsibility for multiple, small concurrent projects, supported by a number of team members reporting to the Power Electronics Technical Leader.
- Assist in the personal development of junior team members.
Education and experience:
- PhD degree in Electronic Engineering or other relevant discipline with a demonstrable level of industrial experience.
Minimum technical knowledge:
- Excellent general knowledge of power electronic devices, including silicon based IGBTs and MOSFETs through to emerging SiC / GaN based technologies.
- Understanding of device characteristics and issues with switching behaviour in real circuits.
- Proven experience in motor inverter design and motor control, particularly gate drive design to component level.
- Device selection - Interpretation of datasheets and knowledge of design methods to confidently select the lowest cost devices while achieving reliability targets.
- Power electronics layout for best compromise between good switching performance, cooling, cost and size.
- Thermal design
- Design and specification of passive components
- Schematic capture using Altium Designer, Mentor Graphics or other main stream tools
- Use of SPICE based simulation tools such as Simetrix
- System level modelling tools such as Matlab, Simulink and PLECS
- FlowTherm or similar thermal modelling packages
- Design calculation tools such as Mathcad, Matlab, Excel
- Circuit simulation and design tolerance analysis
- Robust design including FMEA techniques
- Good quality engineering process understanding and appreciation
- Design for high volume manufacture
- Mains and DC equipment
- PCB layout – size/cost minimisation while achieving layouts for inherently good EMC compliance and thermal design
- Experience of analogue circuit design (e.g. signal amplification and conditioning for feedback signals from power electronic hardware to microcontrollers for example) is desirable.