- Motors and Power Systems, Automotive, Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
This is a unique opportunity to work at the very heart of the Dyson innovation model; in one of its fastest growth capability areas. The senior project manager will manage a multi-discipline team of engineers who are researching new technologies and components that will be utilised within Dyson next generation of products.
The successful candidate will also significantly contribute to the transformation of the Research department, making it more effective and efficient every day, from new idea generation to rapid design, industrialisation and transferral to the downstream teams. They will ensure stage-gate deliverables are met in a timely manner and gain a sufficient level of understanding of the development to be able to communicate the projects status (including technical specification, cost and time) to senior management, whilst being comfortable in challenging the paradigm where required.
The project manager may also, on occasion, project manage external research/development partners. This role is typically (but not exclusively) suitable for individuals experienced in managing
(1) Software and/or Mechanical engineering projects
(2) The delivery of large Business Consulting / Transformations programmes.
In fact, this role will report into a Programme Manager and ultimately a Programme Director, both coming from these two industries.
- First Degree (Engineering related preferable) or equivalent
- Formal Project Management training/ qualifications are desirable but not essential
- Good understanding of Agile project management methodologies
- Outstanding project management capabilities (i.e. estimating and planning, risk management, status reporting, budget tracking, benefits analysis, stakeholder management and communication, resource management)
- Strong communicator; ability to convey complex issues concisely and accurately
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to build productive working relationships and influence
- Excellent analytical skills; to be able to assess problems thoroughly and drive logical conclusions
- Confident; comfortable with interacting with senior executives without being tempted to dilute unpleasant news or back down from well-reasoned analysis
- Credible; ability to demonstrate a good level of understanding of engineering processes in order to work with design teams throughout the project development cycle
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment
- Commercially aware