- Motors and Power Systems, Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people.
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas – unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
Our research and testing enables us to pioneer new technology by continuously improving and developing our machines. The team is hands-on and integrated, which means you’ll be fully involved in the development process.
About the role
Within Dyson Research we define what’s next and look to continually push the boundaries of what’s possible. We’re at the very start of the new product ideas chain, working to develop the technologies that enable future products.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Senior Research Technician to join the highly successful Motors and Power Systems team within the Research, Design and Development (RDD) department. Within this team the successful applicant will be working on the prototyping and assembly process development our future Dyson Digital Motors (DDMs).
You will be assembling the very first prototype motors destined for future products. These will include new generations of motor for existing product categories as well as motors for entirely new product categories.
- Deep knowledge and experience in working on injection mould and press tooling a distinct advantage.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and projects inherent in a research environment.
- Tenacity to persevere in developing new assembly processes and fixtures.
- Capable of using custom fixtures and jigs to manufacture new assemblies
- Experience in both workshop and lab environments
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team, including other technicians and working closely with Design Engineers.
- Good record keeping.
- Experience of designing, manufacturing and using custom fixtures to manufacture new assemblies
- Provides suggestions for ways to improve products and equipment.
- Ensures that all safety procedures are observed during laboratory work.
- Pays close attention to detail.
- Understands GD&T and able to manufacture components to engineering drawings
- Experience of part inventory and stock control
- Experience in CNC milling and turning.
- Capable of taking basic measurements of components to highlight any that may be out of specification
- Input into design discussions to aid manufacturability of prototype motors
- Familiar with the design, build, test process and able to perform characterisation tests on components
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.