- Quality and Reliability , Product Design
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas – unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
About the role
Working as part of the design team within a project structure, reporting into the Project Leader, but with a dotted-line to the Sustainability Manager - NPI for mentorship in this discipline. Primarily, Sustainability Engineers will be embedded in projects where Sustainability is most critical. The role is directly responsible for setting out appropriate project targets that align with Dyson Sustainability metrics. A detailed understanding of the product vision is essential in recommending key areas of focus that best meet these targets, whilst aligning with performance ambitions. The role is within the NPI team but works across both Research and NPI to drive alignment and focus.
- Demonstrate an exemplary level of passion, energy and commitment to define, develop and innovate in Sustainability.
- Build and leverage a local ‘upstream’ and wider business sustainability network.
- Contribute to the development of metrics to enable measurement of success of the Sustainability Strategy.
- Ensure product specs have the necessary metrics embedded in them at a Vision Spec & Product Requirements level.
- Maintain a high degree of design involvement. Use RDD experience to play a key role in the influence and alignment of product design direction to meet sustainability targets across multiple disciplines e.g. mechanical, electrical, power systems, digital motors, software, user interface, visual design and packaging.
- Be the subject matter expert and primary point of contact for all aspects related to sustainability for a given project within the NPI portfolio.
- Utilise and promote Life Cycle Assessment to generate quantified targets for future sustainability improvement plans and KPI’s.
- Recommend design solutions that meet Dyson sustainability metric targets, without sacrificing performance or cost.
- Align with Dysons High Performance culture, mentor, educate & inspire the wider NPI team in opportunities & importance in the area of Sustainability.
- Be a key influencer with project stakeholders to ensure Sustainability targets are being prioritised as part of the product development process.
- Experience of leading sustainability within product development.
- Experience of working within/having a working understanding of systems level development approach, including technical knowledge of mechanical engineering and power electronics.
- Working experience in environmental foot printing / life cycle assessment.
- Ability to promote sustainable thinking at design level.
- Strong communicator; ability to listen and convey complex issues concisely and accurately.
- Excellent analytical skills; the ability to assess problems thoroughly and drive logical conclusions, including the setting of science-based targets.
- Assertive; readiness to challenge teams to take remedial action when required.
- Credible; ability to demonstrate understanding of engineering/operational processes in order to work with design teams throughout the project development cycle.
- Shrewd: The ability to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in a fast-paced and often high-pressure, competitive environment.
- Educated to degree level (scientific/engineering based).
- A recognised Environmental and/or Sustainability qualification is beneficial.
- Demonstrable continuing professional development.
- Membership of professional engineering and/or Sustainability bodies
Benefits27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidaysPension schemePerformance related bonusPrivate medical insuranceLife assuranceSport centreFree on-site parkingSubsidised café and restaurantsDiscounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.