- Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
About the roleWithin Dyson Research we define what’s next. At the very start of the new product ideas chain lays the technologies that enable them. Dyson Research delivers the long term support to the global company growth through technology innovation in our state of the art Wiltshire campuses. Our New Product Innovation team relies on the development of key technologies for new innovative products, after which the New Product Development team carries them through to manufacturing; Dyson Research not only delivers the birth of new technologies but also supports those technologies through to their realisation and integration within a product.
You will be responsible for scoping, researching and delivering thermodynamic technologies that will enable the next generation of Dyson Environmental Care machines. You will use engineering analysis, experimentation and system design to deliver product focussed technologies in partnership with our New Product Innovation teams. You will be required to work both autonomously and as part of a multi-disciplinary team to deliver against Dysons ambitious goals.
- Develop and deliver next-gen thermodynamic technologies in tandem with New Product Innovation design engineers.
- Fundamental research into concepts relating to thermodynamics and heat transfer.
- Pioneer experimental methods to demonstrate innovative technologies and inspire future products.
- Design, build, and test candidate technologies, and disseminate knowledge to groups varying from graduates to directors.
- Explore and introduce the latest simulation techniques to the Dyson product design process.
- Work collaboratively to scope and deliver product focused technology concepts.
- Prepare technical documentation to record and disseminate research.
- Present concepts, analysis and designs to senior stakeholders.
Qualifications, skills and behaviours:
- Engineering degree in relevant discipline (i.e. Mechanical, Aerospace, etc.).
- A solid foundation in fluid flow and heat transfer including knowledge of multiphase fluid flow and conjugate heat transfer.
- Experience in design, build and test of fundamental rigs as well as product representative prototypes.
- Competence in assessing and designing thermodynamic cycles.
- Demonstrable CFD experience, including conjugate heat transfer, would be a distinct advantage.
- 1D system modelling experience is highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of LabView, Matlab, and Python (or alternative coding languages).
- A proactive character able to scope, plan and manage their own time is essential.
- Must be a clear communicator with great presentation skills.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidized café
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Private Medical and Dental
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.