- Manufacturing and tooling
- Johor Bahru - Malaysia
Dyson products are innovative and incorporate complex component design challenging tool design limits.
The Dyson Global tooling team is responsible for delivering capacity creation through tooling ensuring that component design, cost and tooling robustness are balanced against supplier capability/capacity. We are challenging, assertive and collaborative team working with the wider business to ensure that product designs are realised through tooling solutions enabling the production of truly innovative product delight customers. We are hands on with product development, our suppliers, manufacturers and the wider supply chain to ensure that the very best possible products are produced for our customers.
Whilst it is recognised that current Dyson Tooling pushes the boundaries of component/tooling complexity, current tooling lead-times, performance, warranty & cost still fall short of a World Class Tooling operation and significant opportunity exists to deliver CAPEX savings. This role of the is to realise these opportunities, develop and drive change by embarking on a new approach to tooling as a performance critical commodity.
This role is instrumental to the improvement of tooling and moulding performance within Dyson. Working from NPI at point on inception of design and liaise within the Tooling team but also with the whole of the Dyson business the role is responsible for:
Develop detailed strategic approach to managing tooling and moulding as a commodity to reduce tooling investment through DFM reviews for product recommending tooling proposals through close communication with the UK RDD team and the SEA Tooling Team
Develop tooling performance metrics/KPI’s to indicate current state and establish the future state with clear targets across tooling and moulding standards driving tool cost, performance, warranty & lead-time as the key goal driver
- Develop and drive activities like tooling innovation for better tooling manufacturability without compromising product design for its intended function.
- Creating justifications, clear communications to gain consensus for new projects/initiative to improve tooling and moulding overall business performance
- Identify tooling activities for specific improvement projects throughout the business and prioritise where necessary working with cross-functional teams to achieve successful implementation and execution with close monitoring and communication.
- Driving and reporting of key metrics ensuring visibility of improvements is available across the business
- Day to day management and foster close alignment between SEA & UK team with clear alignment of objectives.
Person specification / Core Competencies:
- Proven experience in design of plastic injection mold toolings
- Leading and delivering tooling improvement programmes / projects in similar industries
- Ability to drive results across business including all functions within Dyson
- Clarity of communication – both to Exec, peers and across multiple countries and both 1:1 and in small group interactions at all levels
- A strong background in Moulding process and tooling design to provide the fundamental understanding via DFM reviews as part of the of day to day business operations
- The ability to balance the day to day challenges of multiple projects, progress reporting and challenges with a longer term strategic vision
- A tenacious approach to working – current tooling practices are entrenched in the way we work at Dyson and evoking a significant mind-set change in approach to tooling will not be straightforward and involve people, processes and systems – their effective systemic resolution is unlikely to be trivial
- Experience of managing and driving an APAC supply base to deliver improved efficiencies across both cost and performance in a collaborative fashion
- Min. BSc in Engineering (Mech)
- Technical expertise in Engineering fields such as Mechanical with good exposure to moulding and tooling environment with design background.
- Familiar with operational manufacturing processes in fast moving consumer products.
- Solid knowledge of Change Management techniques
- Solid knowledge of Project Management methodology.
- Strong acumen in Process development
- Basic Knowledge of Dyson products, suppliers, people and processes.
- Formal lean manufacturing training in six sigma, etc would be preferable.