- Manufacturing and tooling, Project Management, Quality and Reliability
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas – unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
Our new product teams take radical new ideas and develop them into reality. They explore the limits of our technology and optimise it through relentless experimenting, testing and iterating. They then develop new ways to test and evaluate performance, to accurately position our technology against our competition.
About the roleReporting to the Director of Operations - NPI, the Sustainability Manager - NPI is directly responsible for the definition of the Sustainability Strategy for all portfolio projects within NPI. A key collaborator and influencer throughout the global cross team and wider business, this role is pivotal in inspiring, energising and managing the definition of a multi-faceted Sustainability Strategy into the future and existing product range. The role is within the NPI team but works across both Research and NPI to drive alignment and focus.
- Demonstrate an exemplary level of passion, energy and commitment to define & develop a long-term Sustainability Strategy for our portfolio of projects.
- Be responsible for the development of a balanced Sustainability Strategy that enables the category to hit short term goals but also plans for the longer-term targets as agreed at board level. This strategy will focus on future projects that are yet to enter the milestone stage, but also encompass products already in production.
- Lead the development of metrics to enable measurement of success of the Sustainability Strategy.
- Ensure the future product roadmap for each category supports the Sustainability goals of the category & product specs have the necessary metrics embedded in them at a Vision Spec & Product Requirements level.
- Maintain a high degree of design involvement. Use RDD experience to play a key role in the influence and alignment of product design direction to meet sustainability targets across multiple disciplines e.g. mechanical, electrical, power systems, digital motors, software, user interface, visual design and packaging.
- Align with Dysons High Performance culture, mentor & educate the wider NPI team in opportunities & importance in the area of Sustainability.
- Be a key influencer at Head of Department level to ensure Sustainability targets are being prioritised as part of the product development process
- Work with the Strategy & Commercial team to look for synergies between Sustainability metrics & opportunities for claims & messaging as a result.
- Work with the cross functional team to identify areas of opportunity not just in design but Operations, Quality & Supply Chain.
- Facilitate and encourage global collaboration and communication around the nascent topic of Sustainability.
- Use position to influence Research & Categories on future product development in the area of Sustainability
- Play a leading role in the definition and execution of the changes needed to the product development process to ensure Sustainability targets are met.
- Consistently galvanise the global category and engineering teams through engagement, inclusion and first-class communication around the subject of Sustainability.
- Help recruit and mentor a growing team of Sustainability Engineers within NPI.
- A proven track record in managing technical programs and delivering complex projects to time, specification, cost and quality.
- Strong manufacturing assembly experience including tolerance and dimensional stability, build standards and change control.
- Confidence to prepare and lead key reviews across all RDD levels and to James Dyson.
- Strong leadership background, with previous experience of managing and motivating a large team, consistently achieving stretched targets to high standards.
- Globally aware with an aptitude to deliver through others on multiple time zones.
- Highly effective communications skills - ability to convey complex issues concisely and accurately.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, emotionally intelligent with strong ability to build productive working relationships and influence at all levels.
- Adept at prioritising activities across multiple projects with multiple stakeholders.
- Capacity to manage the expectations of senior stakeholders whilst delivering.
- Credibility to lead unplanned, unbudgeted high priority cross-functional change projects.
- Natural ability to identify capability gaps, coach and develop people and establish strong succession plans.
- Dedicated, dynamic, data driven and prepared to do what it takes to get the job done.
- Experienced in continuous improvement, history of identifying change programs ahead of the curve, taking responsibility and leading by example.
Benefits27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidaysPension schemePerformance related bonusPrivate medical insuranceLife assuranceSport centreFree on-site parkingSubsidised café and restaurantsDiscounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.