- Mechanical Engineering, Motors and Power Systems, Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
• Stretch the boundaries of speed, power/torque density and efficiency in electric motor systems in a number of different applications
• Develop energy storage solutions with world leading levels of energy density
• Have the ability to understand the overall product concept and contribute significantly to the design of the product through the use of expert knowledge of the latest technologies / methods in the industry.
• Meet target specifications such as cost, size, weight and efficiency within the planned timeline of each project that would make a great product
• Deliver solutions that are reliable and fit for purpose to satisfy life requirements and to help achieve product guarantee periods and comply with all relevant International Standards
• Generate innovative / novel solutions with strong / high value IP for Dyson products
• Work closely with the other engineering disciplines to ensure that the product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met, all within the planned timeline of the project
• Optimise product performance and solve complex engineering problems
• Communicate clearly and effectively the results and project status to a broad spectrum of associated project members
• Contribute to time planning and manage your time in line with project deadlines.
Education and experience:
• Minimum BEng/MEng degree (2:1 degree or better) in Mechanical Engineering or a related discipline with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in the design and development of thermal systems.
Minimum technical experience and knowledge:
Specification, Analysis & Design:
• Experience in the design and analysis of thermal systems, including Finite Element & Computational Fluid Dynamics techniques.
• Ability to simplify a complex problem into mathematical models and perform preliminary performance prediction, analysis and design recommendation
• Good understanding of statistics and the ability to use these as a tool in engineering decision making
• Ability to use 3D computer aided design (CAD) software packages
• Appreciation of other engineering disciplines such aerodynamics, mechanical, electrical, electronics and electromagnetic systems
• Ability to specify system components to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
• Engineering processes including DFMEA, DoE, failure analysis/problem solving capability
Test and Validation:
• Ability to devise lab based measurement techniques and have a strong command of analysis software and equipment for component and system level characterisation and validation
• Ability to work across a number of different projects and platforms simultaneously
• Strong “design-for-manufacture” mentality to deliver high performance and reliable system solutions meeting cost, size and time requirements
• Appreciation of complying with National, European and Worldwide regulations and legislation.
• Thermal analysis of batteries and/or electronic systems
• Rotating Machinery design and heat management strategies
• Breadth of experience covering component thermal design through to full system.
Essential behavioural skills:
• Good analytical ability and attention to detail
• Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format
• Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas
• To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams.
• Excellent team working skills.
•27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
•Performance related bonus
•Free on-site parking
•Discounts on Dyson machines
•Private Medical and Dental