- Motors and Power Systems, Energy storage, Mechanical Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
There is a requirement for a Thermal Engineer to join the solid state batteries engineering team to support the development of the cell specification from research through to manufacture.
The Thermal Engineer will be involved in the full range of thermal analysis, test and development activities from initial product concept stage and be responsible for providing analytical oversight of the thermal management of the cell; working with the product engineering team to advise on ‘best practise’ from past experience, helping develop and validate new concepts, generate and run analysis to support product development through to production.
Whilst technical expertise is core to this role, it is important to be able to work collaboratively, driving the program forwards though strategic and objective decision making, with sound technical judgement.
The role sits within the engineering team which is collectively responsible for delivering robustly designed cells, that are manufactured reliably, efficiently and safely to ensure the success of Energy Storage at Dyson.
• Thermal Analysis of Cell Design o Work with cell development team to understand thermal requirements of cell and battery management system
o Support cell design and development with numerical approaches, model analysis and testing of specific areas of the thermal solution.
o Provide design advice and guidance to engineering team, taking on a role of responsibility for the assigned area from early concept stage.
o Conduct detailed testing and theoretical analysis of concepts to increase understanding and insight within the team.
o Develop cell specification, balancing performance metrics, safety, cost, IP
• Industrial process development o Support development of industrial manufacturing processes by optimising thermal management at a large scale o Develop test methodology and procedures with support of test team using current facilities and help to define and specify further equipment requirements.
o Calibration of equipment and part assessment using a range of measurement and statistical analysis techniques
o Constructive and pragmatic approach to problem solving
• Intellectual Property (IP) Generation o Generation of ideas to create IP, in order to enhance our technologies and maintain our competitive advantage o Regular communication with IP team to identify promising avenues for development
o Responsibility for system and process compliance with internal and external safety standards
o Contribution to a safe working environment through FMEA input and formal risk assessment
• Collaboration and teamwork
o Establish highly collaborative relationships with all teams that interact with the mechanical engineering team
• An excellent/Master’s degree in Thermodynamics, Fluid Dynamics, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent with focus on thermal aspects desirable (other relevant engineering disciplines will be considered).
• 2-5 years’ experience of thermal analysis, development and test.
• Excellent fundamental understanding of thermodynamics and fluid dynamics principles.
• Proven experience modelling thermal system interactions using simulation packages (1D system modelling, ANSYS FEA and CFD or similar, Excel/VB).
• Ability to provide creative solutions to technical problems, implemented in a logical and systematic manner
• A self-starter, possessing a practical and hands-on approach to problem solving
• Excellent organisation skills, with the ability to effectively manage own time and work packages
• Ability to deal with dynamic environment where specifications may change frequently
• Highly motivated and driven with confidence to influence senior leaders
• A team player who builds strong relationships and has an appreciation of cultural diversity
• Prior experience in battery, photovoltaic/solar, semiconductor or electronics industries
• Prior experience in thermal management of industrial manufacturing processes
• Knowledge of latest technologies and industry methods
• Understanding of statistical analysis tools (E.g. Minitab)
• Prior experience of Product Lifecycle Management tools (E.g. Teamcenter) to store design information
• Ability to travel for short and medium term
• 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
• Pension scheme
• Performance related bonus
• Life assurance
• Sport centre
• Free on-site parking
• Subsidized café and restaurants
• Discounts on Dyson machines