- Manufacturing and tooling, Product Design
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
We are looking to develop a bright, career motivated person into a Metrology Role through our 4-year Metrologist Apprenticeship. From day one, you’ll be immersed in hands-on measuring and practical techniques, learning all the skills and knowledge to allow you to become a highly skilled Metrologist, capable of complex, precision work using a wide range of technical equipment. Skills will be developed through a combination of hands-on training, and college-based learning. You’ll study for nationally recognised qualifications with the potential to progress onto higher levels to complement the hands-on work you will be exposed to in Dyson.
In your first 3 years you will be working in Dyson Metrology department and learning be provided in collaboration with NPL. You will gain the expert skills and qualifications required to join us as a Metrology Technician After this you will have the opportunity to progress (if agreed by Dyson and yourself) to study in year 4 and 5 to become a Senior Metrologist. We’ll cover your tuition fees and support you all the way through your learning, all you’ll need is the ambition, determination, and tenacity to excel.
About the role
We’ll expect you to get hands-on and solve problems from the off, contributing as well as learning. Once immersed in the Product Prototyping Department you’ll find yourself supporting multiple RDD project teams with their varied requirements. You’ll be given responsibility to take your own initiative and contribute to the overall success of Dyson.
- You will then be based in Dyson, Malmesbury where your time will be spent in the Metrology lab and working closely with Dyson design engineers and our in-house workshop engineers, supported by a mentor, learning hands-on skills and delivering real world measurements to resolve real world problems. Million-pound decisions can and are based on Metrology reports.
· Your apprenticeship will be run in collaboration with the National Physics Laboratory (NPL) which is based in Teddington and will consist of 18 x 5-day learning modules spread over 3 years.
- Continue to work at Dyson in Metrology, supported by an in-house mentor, taking on increasing responsibility and complexity of work.
- You will assist with the work in other areas of the Prototyping department, such as the CNC machining department, as well as developing specialist knowledge and experience of Metrology and associated principles.
- After year 3 is successfully completed you may apply for Professional Registration this standard meets the requirements of Registered Engineering Technician (EngTech) and Registered Science Technician (RSciTech). The apprentice will be eligible for registration of EngTech and/or RSciTech on completion of the apprenticeship
- After this in discussion with the business and external training facilities you may have the option to further your studies to level 4-5 in Metrology. This would be based in Coventry University over year a 2 year part time and you would obtain a Undergraduate Degree in Metrology. You would then be recognised as a Senior Metrologist.
- Subject to performance, a job at Dyson as a Metrologist within the Product Prototyping Department.
- Where it makes business sense, there may be the opportunity, depending on interest and ability, to continue studying towards a level 4-5 Senior Metrologist position.
- Identify measurement needs and make informed decisions about the measurement process and timescales required, including selection of; tools, equipment, instrumentation and software programs.
- Access and interpret information and documentation to support the measurement process including; data, manuals, specifications, catalogues, calibration certificates and computer-generated information.
- Prepare the work environment and perform tests and checks on measurement tools, equipment, instrumentation and software programs and determine suitability for use.
- Take action when non-conforming tools, equipment, instrumentation, materials and software programs have been identified.
- Plan and perform measurement tasks to ensure verifiable results, using measurement tools, equipment, instrumentation and software programs, following specified procedures and methodologies.
- Retrieve, analyse, interpret, validate and record measurement results and data in line with specifications.
- Contribute to the production of records, reports and other measurement documentation.
- Communicate relevant and specific information through various channels to meet customer requirements.
- Comply with statutory regulations, national and international standards, industry and organisational procedures and requirements relating to codes of conduct when carrying out measurement tasks.
- Comply with relevant Health and Safety legislation, regulation, standards, industry and organisational policies and procedures and requirements relating to safe working practices.
- Comply with policies and procedures relating to the preparation, storage, standards, control and handling of samples, tools, equipment, instrumentation and software programs.
Skills & Experience
We assess each application on its merits. Fundamentally we are looking for people who demonstrate the drive, enthusiasm, self-motivation and teamwork skills to become a model maker. You must be conscientious with strong attention to detail and a strong draw towards detail and accuracy.
- A minimum of 4 GCSEs A*-C, including English, Mathematics and Science, and have finished 2 A Levels or equivalent, ideally in Engineering or a science-related subject,
- Enthusiastic, motivated and proactive attitude
- A concrete commitment to a career in Metrology. You’re not here on a whim. We’re looking for inventive souls who instinctively solve problems and answer some of Dysons most important questions.
- A plan of how you intend to travel to college and Dyson (Malmesbury)
- Some previous machining or practical hands-on experience would be beneficial
- Demonstrable interest in Metrology and measurement techniques and associated technology.
· Focus on quality and maintain concentration with a high level of attention to detail and accuracy.
· Take an analytical approach to solving problems through systematic monitoring and checking of information to meet industry standards,
· Be self-motivated and inquisitive, being confident to speak up and challenge when appropriate.
· Be committed to learning and continuous improvement.
· Work with and respect others by working flexibly and collaboratively, maintaining effective professional relationships with clear organisational and personal benefits and showing commitment to equality and diversity.
· Act professionally, ethically and conscientiously by adhering to relevant legislation, regulation, standards, organisational procedures and demonstrate accountability and reliability.
· Plan and manage time effectively and prioritise workloads to meet deadlines and customer requirements.
· Be commercially aware and recognise the relevance of efficiency and the need for change to processes and procedures to meet business and customer requirements.
Benefits• 27 days holiday plus bank holidays
• Free on-site gym and sports centre
• Subsidised café and restaurants
• Discounts on Dyson machines
• Free on-site parking
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.