- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking.Then we continuously refine our ideas – unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
About the roleThe Associate Principal (AP) Electronics Wire Harness Engineer will work with engineering and operational teams in the UK across multiple RDD projects to drive development of the wiring harness designs for new products. The AP will work closely with the Dyson engineering teams in the UK and South East Asia (SEA) to ensure that our wire harness designs are developed to a high standard.
You will have technical authority to develop the architecture of wiring systems within different project categories, with responsibility for selection of connector and interconnect components. The role requires a highly experienced engineer with broad technical knowledge and in-depth experience of all aspects of wire harness development for a production environment.
You will be a motivated, creative, methodical, and flexible person, ready to take on engineering challenges and solve them with a pragmatic and practical approach. You will provide technical leadership and guidance to the engineers in the wire harness team and will have responsibility for final approval of the work.
In this role you will:
- Provide oversight and support to engineers in the Wire Harness team.
- Work with multiple teams from NPI (New Product Innovation) and NPD (New Product Development) across a range of engineering disciplines to deliver the design of wiring designs for new Dyson products.
- Co-ordinate with UK and SEA engineering teams during transfer of designs from early development in the UK to the Asia teams for final release to production.
- Develop existing suppliers to deliver solutions that align with our technology roadmap.
- Investigate new suppliers and develop novel solutions to our wiring harness design challenges.
- Review and signoff components and wiring assemblies to ensure engineering quality.
- Oversee testing and validation of designs.
- Investigate and resolve quality/reliability issues.
- Supporting future growth and development of Dyson’s Global Wire Harness team.
About youAs AP Electronics Wire Harness engineer you will be an experienced engineer, self-motivated and capable of providing technical supervision of the engineers to generate high quality design solutions. Preferably you will have experience of the whole product development lifecycle, from initial concept generation through to mass production and beyond. To perform this role, you will have:
- A strong understanding of wiring harness components: connectors, contacts, cables, and associated components, with strong experience of their design and manufacture.
- A strong understanding of harness assembly processes and manufacture, including production process capability controls, quality checks and assurance and design for manufacture.
- Able to provide technical leadership to the Wire Harness and other engineering team, based on your experience and knowledge of the field.
- Knowledge of 3D CAD software and ability to carry out 3D modelling, preferably Siemens NX.
- Experience of working with PLM systems, preferably Siemens Teamcenter.
- Knowledge of wiring logical data design and schematic capture systems, preferably Mentor Graphics
- Degree qualified in a relevant electronics discipline.
- Relevant experience in design of wiring systems, ideally for consumer or domestic appliances.
- Knowledge of electrical principles for AC mains domestic voltage, and low voltage DC circuits.
- Experience in team or technology leadership roles.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.