- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals to invent, design and develop world class products for all global markets. By working in our world-class Research and Development facility, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to invent and iterate products which fulfil our ambition of solving the problems that others choose to ignore. With an inquisitive, hands-on and thinking differently approach you will help drive and deliver the next generation of Haircare products whilst managing assembly & project level deliverables.
About the Role
We are looking for someone who can assess and sum up a product in development and clearly define the key and major problems that exist (or may exist in future) and guide/lead others to an ideal solution. The ideal candidate will know the right questions to ask of others and proactivity hunt for problems to root out and investigate.
You will work independently and influence a multi-disciplined team from a technical perspective to deliver electro-mechanical design including heated airflow delivery, airflow filtration, PCB, harness, energy storage, motor integration, end user performance and product behaviours, using an iterative Design/Build/Test/Analyse process to demonstrate new technology, intuitive features and product performance gains from an integrated systems Engineering point of view.
You will be collaborating as part of a global team, working up-stream to identify technical and fundamental risk and define design requirements, as well as realising assembly level detail, engaging with our Engineering team in South-East Asia. You will be engaging directly with our design and delivery process, defining it, as well as ensuring rigor and accountability is applied.
You will be a technical role model, a leader working in partnership with the Engineering Managers, giving and proactively providing technical analysis and guidance to the direction of projects throughout their development. Key aspect of this will be to deliver our Product Development Framework in a timely manner to a high quality of resolution to a pre-production level, ready to transfer to our colleagues in SEA. But, also helping and taking accountability for developing the strategy, that will build the technical ability of the Design Engineering function, ensuring the success of the team and the performance, robustness and reliability of Dyson Haircare products.
We are encouraged to think differently and be unafraid to make mistakes. By joining our world class Research Design and Development department in Malmesbury UK, you will work collaboratively with other highly motivated technical specialists and creative people.
- Identify, prioritise and communicate project technical risk to key stakeholders.
- Unearth fundamental technical risk early in the development process.
- Provide expert analysis to allow data driven decisions.
- Resolve complex technical challenges involving multiple functional teams.
- Ensure coherent integration of cutting-edge electro-mechanical technologies.
- Collaborate upstream with Research and NPI to mature the product definition and support the delivery of downstream manufacturing solutions with the South East Asian Teams.
- Identify and develop opportunities within the design development process.
- Construct and govern the technical risk proposals within a project team in preparation for key milestone technical reviews.
- Contribute to the development of the team’s technical capability to support ambitious Haircare growth by providing technical mentoring, demonstrate technical best practice and provide material and content to assist in training others.
- Collaborate with the Engineering Management functions to co-deliver key Haircare products and directly manage the integration risks across multiple systems.
- A degree in Mechanical Engineering / Product Design or equivalent.
- Technical specialist and role-model, depth and/or breath, in aspects of electro-mechanical design.
- Dissecting a complex problem and being innovative in providing a solution.
- Accurate analysis of complex data, statistical data analytics experience able to lead DoE’s and understand and process multiple regression models (i.e. histogram and R² value data plots etc). Knowledge of Mini-tab software would be a plus.
- Strong knowledge and application of Systems Engineering, direct Six Sigma deployment experience would be a plus.
- Expertise in developing parts and assemblies for robust design and mass manufacture, e.g. injection moulding.
- Strong practical knowledge of 3D CAD, PLM systems and analysis packages.
- Comfortable with collaborating, influencing and convincing others at a product level.
- Technically mentoring and indirectly leading others.
- Expert understanding of mechanical principles and engineering judgement to make timely robust design decisions.
- Effective assessment and selection of appropriate methods to develop and demonstrate design intent.
- Using suitable lean verification and validation methods to prove your design.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Flexibility and resilience to change a must.
- Performance related bonus
- Company paid Life Assurance
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Competitive pension scheme
- Purchase additional holidays
- 27 days holiday plus statutory bank holidays
- Free bus travel to and from Malmesbury campus from Bristol, Chippenham and Swindon
- On-site parking
- Endless free coffee and tea, and a free lunch
- Free on-site hair salon
- On-site lifestyle Assist
- Electric vehicle scheme
- Private Medical insurance for all employees
- Employee Assistance Program for employee and dependents
- Digital GP and prescription service
- Fertility treatment support
- On-site gym and sports centre
- On-site wellbeing centre
**Please apply with CV and portfolio**
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.