- Quality and Reliability
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
We start with an engineering mindset and different thinking,then continuously refine our ideas, unwilling to compromise until we’ve found a better way.
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people.We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
Dyson has a strong and influential Quality, Safety and Sustainability business function. The Safety team broadly divides into 2 streams; managing and driving safety on new projects in development and managing and driving resolution and learning from any safety-related issue that may occur in the field. This role is to strengthen the project safety team by leading safety requirements agreement and managing the process of successfully achieving these requirements on projects during the product development process
About the roleReporting to the Product Safety Senior Manager, this role primarily concerns bringing proven multiple-industry functional safety experience to Dyson to deploy onto exciting new products in development. The primary accountabilities are below:
- Work closely with the RDD engineers on functional safety matters across the entire V-cycle of new products.
- Drive functional safety competency management for engineers within the organisation
- Develop and maintain best practices and procedures to support functional safety activities in Dyson
- Collaborate with the project engineering team and safety experts to develop processes, methods and systems engineering tools to implement functional safety strategies
- Create and maintain formal documents, including Hazard and Risk Assessments, Safety Plan, FMEA and Safety Case.
- Act as single point of contact for specific project delivery in the Safety team, and provide input where required to projects carried out by the projects’ teams.
- Analyse and define functional safety requirements and system interfaces in the early stages of the projects.
- Own and ensure that agreed mitigations for functional safety risks are in place, verified and validated when required.
- Drive functional safety in product development decisions, monitor and report throughout the project life cycle
- Consult and advocate best practice through participation in safety risk assessment such as FMEA and Hazard Identification.
- Independently manage multiple projects concurrently while ensuring compliance with all applicable functional safety requirements.
- Proactively identify technical risks within projects and influence engineering teams in their resolution, often taking the lead in the design and testing of the engineering solution
- A degree in a relevant engineering or science discipline with experience in an engineering role as a functional safety specialist.
- In-depth knowledge and experience in engineering field and activities contributing to the production of safety cases and reports.
- Detailed understanding of relevant functional safety standards and previous experience in a functional safety role working in accordance with relevant international standards.
- Able to develop and check verification and validation test procedures, maintain safety requirement specifications, lead functional safety assessments, understanding of safety management techniques.
- Demonstrate technical competency to independently review the work of others and ability to establish, compile and maintain formal documentation like Safety Plan or Safety Case to a high professional standard.
- Ability to change priorities quickly and deliver simultaneously across projects of different priorities and pace. Results driven.
- Excellent communication skills able to convey ideas simply to a diverse audience. A confident presenter of complex technical subject matter.
- An open and co-operative approach, empathetic of others with a pleasant and collaborative outlook. A team player.
- Self-motivated and able to motivate, inspire and promote safety culture in the company.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.