- Software Engineering and Connectivity
- Hullavington - United Kingdom
We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our engineering approach starts with different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas – unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way. Today we employ more than 5,800 people around the world in software engineering, mechanical engineering and science-related roles.
About the roleThis is an exciting opportunity to be part of the robotics team at Dyson. We are looking for an experienced software platform engineer to join our ambitious and expanding team that delivers challenging products in consumer robotics.
The successful candidate will join an agile team and will contribute to the delivery of our robotics platform to ensure Dyson continues to create innovative products that will delight our customers.
The platform uses an x86-based Yocto build of Linux and runs on in house designed PCBs. It interfaces to our navigational software (Linux applications) & the low level platform which is focused on real time control (Embedded C & Real time OS).
As an agile team we aim to deliver shippable software at the end of each sprint, so being prepared to develop and test software is essential. Our definition of done spans low-level design, development, unit test, software test, integration and regression test. Lead engineers are comfortable working independently, taking initiative and leading solutions to complex problems.
Associate Principle Engineers are experts in their field. They make and contribute to technical decisions with a long term vision. Great communication skills inside and outside of the software team are essential. Associate Principal engineers often guide others on technical solutions and contribute to the wider software community at Dyson.
About youThe successful candidate will be working in a supportive team of experts that is constantly striving to improve itself in the delivery of high quality, robust solutions to a diverse set of real world problems.
- Work within a cross-functional team to architect and deliver production quality platforms for mobile robotic products.
- Maintain and support development teams’ requirements for platform features and services.
- Participate in the design and architecture of future platforms for robotics products.
- Collaboration with robotics engineers to understand platform requirements.
- Work within an Agile framework.
- Identify key risk areas of proposed solutions.
- Work with the architecture team to identify the feature and technology development roadmap.
- Agree and document proposed solutions and their final implementation in order to support maintenance and future development.
- Guide and mentor fellow platform engineers.
- Scrum agile experience
- 5+ years of C++ experience (C++ 11)
- Python experience
- CppUnit like automated unit test experience
- Linux User Space development and debugging
- Version control (preferably git)
- Bachelors or Masters degree in computer science or related field
- Google Test
- Crank Storyboard
- Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) experience
- Use of Atlassian tool suite (JIRA, Confluence, Bamboo etc.)
27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
Performance related bonus
Private medical insurance
Free on-site parking
Subsidised café and restaurants
Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.