- Mechanical Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Within Dyson Research we define what’s next. At the very start of the new product ideas chain lays the technologies that enable them. Dyson Research delivers the long term support to the global company growth through technology innovation in our state of the art Wiltshire campus. Our New Product Innovation team relies on the development of key technologies for new innovative products, after which the New Product Development team carries them through to manufacturing; Dyson Research not only delivers the birth of new technologies but also supports those technologies through to their realisation and integration within a product.
About the roleSupport the Motors & Power Systems Research Team in the evolution of new and existing products, specifically taking a leading role in the mechanical engineering of our high-speed electric motors. The Associate Principal Mechanical Research Engineer will be expected to take a proactive approach in identifying and evaluating new opportunities across a spectrum of areas particularly focusing on advancements in the mechanical design of high-speed turbomachinery. The role would entail championing the best engineering practises to support the wider teams core activities whilst also developing research strategies to guide the future direction of Dyson motors.
- Play a key role in the design and optimisation of both the preliminary and the detailed stages of new motor systems, focusing on achieving robust mechanical solutions considering mass manufacturing.
- Develop new technologies and understanding in the mechanical design of turbomachinery generating high-value IP concepts enabling the next generation of motors.
- Point of technical expertise within the team reviewing and supporting engineers as required.
- Develop and champion accurate, in-depth simulation techniques both within the research team and the wider Motors group with an appreciation of the experimental validation programme.
- Champion high quality design of experiments using a six-sigma approach.
- Ability to summarise key findings and communicate to other members of RDD including senior managers and directors.
- Liaise with development teams to ensure effective transfer of technology into the future product range.
- Mentoring of engineers, students and external research projects in the best practise in the mechanical design of turbomachinery in both new product categories and next generation of Dyson digital motors.
About youQualifications, skills and behaviours:
- A degree (2:1 or higher) in Mechanical Engineering, or other relevant engineering discipline.
- An excellent working knowledge and experience in the design and integration of turbomachinery covering a broad aspect of disciplines (mechanical, aerodynamics, electric motor design).
- Strong understanding of aerothermal modelling and electric motor excitations would be beneficial.
- Experience in the use of Finite Element Modelling in relation to the dynamics of rotating machinery, structural analysis, fatigue/fracture, shock/impact, non-linear materials, etc.
- Awareness and capability of guiding experimental validation programmes.
- Capable of performing analytical calculations to support higher fidelity work packages.
- Excellent knowledge of mechanical systems within turbomachinery covering bearing technologies, balancing methods, transmissions, failure mechanisms and associated root cause analysis techniques.
- Methodical approach to analysing and presenting simulation and test data.
- Experience in mentoring team members in the best practise of engineering would be an advantage.
- The ability to take the lead position within the team on a given area with little direction, whilst maintaining a collaborative, mentoring position with fellow team members.
- Flexible and efficient approach to solve problems using the appropriate level of detail at each stage.
- Good analytical ability and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
- Ability to support technology roadmap development utilising imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values.
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment.
- Excellent team-working skills.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.