- Design and Development
- Malaysia - Development Centre
Dyson solves the problems others choose to ignore, developing disruptive technologies requiring even more complex electronics to deliver an increasing product portfolio. We are growing fast, and our ambition is boundless – more products, more locations, and more people.
About the role
The Graphics & Packaging Team is responsible for all graphics and packaging that are used in the manufacturing of Dyson products. The operation is split between the UK and SEA (Malaysia & The Philippines). The UK plays a strategic role in delivering these items, and the SEA team play a tactical part. Together they deliver effective, cutting edge solutions to Dyson’s Graphics and Packaging.
Graphics & Packaging Operations need to respond to a new reality in Dyson’s continuing evolution involving Proactive Innovation, Collaboration, Colocation & Accelerated development, supporting our strategic objectives and our drive towards sustainability for our owners and supply chain.
The role is integral to delivering innovation in packaging, maintaining consistency of design, and quality in materials, applications, and processes, relative to existing and new categories. The position will provide the vital cohesion between packaging conception with RDD and packaging production with South East Asia.
Working alongside other members of the Global Packaging Team in the UK and South East Asia, drive the development of final packaging solutions that meet the highest level of detail and compliance necessary for release to our chosen suppliers for manufacturing and subsequent engineering validation.
Working alongside our Packaging Designers, Technologists and Engineers, provide technical support to assist the development of chosen concepts in order to demonstrate the proposed solution, through sufficiently credible prototype and test evidence, to provide the project’s design leadership confidence it not only delivers the customer value, but can meet cost, regulatory, manufacturing and quality criteria.
- Driving best engineering practices into the design team: Design for Manufacture, Assembly,Cost, Compliance, Robust design.
- Working with potential suppliers to provide rapid turn-around in the development of credible packaging prototypes.
- Ensuring we have repeatable and representative test methods in place to help guide development.
- Initiating and running a suitable design governance/review process to ensure best practice is followed and ultimately ensuring the design output meets the standards necessary to deliver best in class packaging solutions to the business.
- Through an acute understanding of QMS, Manufacturing and Supplier sensitivities, you will be responsible for the creation of design guides and internal standards to ensure lessons learnt are captured and embedded back into the process.
- Design, prototype and assess through pilot plant testing and validation packaging technologies and concepts to product and process specifications as well as develop value chain and economic feasibility analysis for proposed packaging solutions.
- Global & strategic awareness of sustainable and tax implications of polymers in packaging
- Degree in Packaging Design/Industrial Design / Materials science and Engineering or equivalent/Substantial direct work experience at a management level
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in packaging technology, Healthcare packaging, manufacturing and FMCG desirable
- Global experience and appreciation of different working cultures, values and communication styles. Chinese speaking would be desirable.
- A successful track record of robust packaging & systems design delivery within a product development industry
- In-depth technical knowledge and understanding of core packaging engineering best practice.
- Essential to have working knowledge of a wide range of packaging manufacturing technologies and materials and print production processes.
- Leading compliance of quality driven operational excellence
- Supervising and mentoring project reporting staff
- Have a technical degree in a relevant science subject and a minimum of 5 years’ testing experience working in a physical testing laboratory.
- Experience in preform design, blow-moulding, rotational moulding processes & technologies.
- Experience in preparing 17025/GMP compliant documentation
- Desirable to have experience in the application of ISO 9001: Quality Management System.
- Experience in development, and innovative application of, sustainable packaging materials, and a thorough understanding of the packaging carbon footprint throughout its lifecycle Experience & technical specialism in materials and packaging validation/testing (ISO 11607).
- Drive and ambition to challenge the norm, innovate and push boundaries, whilst maintaining the delicate balance of meeting cost and quality targets. Eye for detail.
- Sense of responsibility to ensure Dyson values are maintained through the output of our work.
- The willingness to challenge assumptions and ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas to the unique problems associated to achieving Dyson’s brand values in our products.
- Drive for consistency, quality, control, but able to strike the right balance to avoid stifling
- Levelheaded and ability to drive delivery through others, within a dynamic environment.
- Team player, comfortable dealing with all business levels – from director to engineer.
- Ability to communicate confidently and clearly at all levels, with credibility and gravitas (both in written and verbal formats).
- CAD skills: Expert in high-end 3D/2D cad modelling applications – Siemens NX preferred
- Desirable - Simulation Applications: Experience in 3D engineering simulation – Simulia (Abaqus) / Anysys or similar.
- Ability to facilitate complex design reviews and drive towards productive outcome.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and bonuses. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy a transport allowance and comprehensive medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition.
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.