- Design and Development
- Singapore - Technology Centre
Dyson Singapore is looking for a seasoned Associate Principal Product Safety Engineer to be based in our Technology Centre in Singapore. The role reports to the Product Safety Senior Manager based in the UK.
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people.
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re engineers, creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic, but most of all, we’re hugely passionate about what we do. We push the boundaries of what others have defined as possible. Our approach starts with an engineering mindset and different thinking. Then we continuously refine our ideas – unwilling to compromise and driven by an obsession for finding a better way.
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products & technologies for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside other leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
About the role
Product Safety was established in Dyson UK to go beyond the standards to continually launch high quality and safety products to the global market. Our SEA technical capability is expanding and there is a need for the safety team in SEA to become more independent, maintaining safety requirements agreement and managing the process to successfully achieve these requirements on all projects all the way to product launch.
This role requires technical leadership to manage successful completion of all safety deliverables for projects by implementing proven industry safety requirements setting and achievement management. This includes leadership of safety engineers in SEA, close collaboration with safety engineers and managers based in UK and to instil safety to hundreds of stakeholders from across the business to ensure successful achievement of safety deliverables on all Dyson products.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Influence and manage process of defining, agreeing and setting safety requirements with multiple stakeholders within Research, Design and Development on multiple projects, and then manage the process of evaluating test results to demonstrate achievement of these safety requirements and ultimately sign-off safety for production.
- Provide safety engineering expertise to steer key stakeholders.
- Lead the evaluation of complex, unique or unusual products against established safety requirements.
- Own, manage and ensure project safety risks are assessed adequately and mitigations are in place and verified when required.
- Provide safety engineering expertise to steer the product development teams
- Lead continuous improvement of new product safety processes
- Lead safety in manufacturing development decisions by defining critical to safety tasks and processes.
- Lead and enforce best practice through participation in safety risk assessment such as Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Risk analysis and Hazard Identification.
- Pro-actively conduct technical research into industry specific safety guidelines or design practice.
- Independently manage multiple projects concurrently while maintaining all applicable safety requirements.
- Work alongside key teams and stakeholders to produce and maintain standardised reports, trackers and dashboards to communicate accurate safety status.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or any related discipline with 10 years of relevant work experience, including 5 years in product safety.
- Demonstrable industrial experience in safety engineering/ product safety.
- Strong technical background in product development and/ or safety engineering gained from successfully leading projects and/ or teams to achieve new product safety deliverables, including:
- Develop safety plans
- Fault Tree Analysis (FTA) studies
- FMEA development with respect to safety
- Safety requirement specifications
- Functional safety assessments
- HAZID (Hazard Identification) / HAZOP (Hazard and Operability) techniques
- Verification and validation test procedures.
- Demonstrate technical competency to review the work of others.
- Demonstrate prior ability to lead, manage, coach and develop a small team.
- Results driven, ability to change priorities quickly and deliver simultaneously across projects of different priorities and pace.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to convey ideas simply to a diverse audience and present with confidence on complex technical subject matter.
- Being a team player, having an open and co-operative approach, empathetic of others with a pleasant and collaborative outlook.
Dyson Singapore monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and bonuses. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy a transport allowance and comprehensive medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition.
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.