- Design and Development
- Malaysia - Development Centre
Job Title: New Product Safety Associate Principal Engineer
Department: Quality & Sustainability | New Product Quality & Safety
Reporting to: Product Safety Senior Manager
Location: Malaysia Development Centre, Malaysia
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We are growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations, more people.
New Product Quality & Safety (NPQS) within Dyson collaborate with Research, Design, Development and Operations stakeholders to ensure the creation of safe, reliable and highly satisfying new products.
This role is to strengthen and help lead Product Safety within MDC, Malaysia, in managing and driving safety for normal or foreseeable usage through the development stages to ensure our products remain safe over their functional life.
About the role:
Product Safety was established in Dyson UK but is now multinational, to go beyond the standards to continually launch high quality and safe products to the global market. Our SEA technical capability is expanding and there is a need for the safety team in Malaysia to become more independent, maintaining safety requirements agreement and managing the process to successfully achieve these requirements on all projects all the way to product launch.
Reporting to the Product Safety Senior Manager in the UK, this role requires technical leadership to manage successful completion of all safety deliverables for projects by implementing proven industry safety requirements setting and risk management. This includes leadership of safety engineers in Malaysia, close collaboration with safety engineers and managers based in UK, Singapore and Philippines and to instil safety to hundreds of stakeholders from across the business.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Influence and manage process of defining, agreeing and setting safety requirements with multiple stakeholders within Research, Design and Development on multiple projects, and then manage the process of evaluating test results to demonstrate achievement of these safety requirements and ultimately sign-off safety for production.
- Provide safety engineering expertise to steer key stakeholders.
- Lead the evaluation of complex, unique or unusual products against established safety requirements.
- Own, manage and ensure project safety risks are assessed adequately and mitigations are in place and verified when required.
- Provide safety engineering expertise to steer the product development teams
- Lead continuous improvement of new product safety processes
- Lead safety in manufacturing development decisions by defining critical to safety tasks and processes.
- Lead and enforce best practice through participation in safety risk assessment such as FMEA, Risk analysis and Hazard Identification.
- Pro-actively conduct technical research into industry specific safety guidelines or design practice.
- Independently manage multiple projects concurrently while maintaining all applicable safety requirements.
- Work alongside key teams and stakeholders to produce and maintain standardised reports, trackers and dashboards to communicate accurate safety status.
- Ensure consistent and meaningful reporting of key safety risks to all stakeholder groups.
- Collaborate effectively with Research, Design and Development to ensure successful delivery of safety deliverables on new product and continuously enhance safety culture, processes and governance across all Dyson stakeholder groups.
- A degree or diploma in a relevant engineering or science discipline with a significant number of years’ experience in a relevant engineering role, a good proportion of this involve product safety.
- Demonstrable industrial experience in safety engineering/ product safety.
- Strong technical background in product development and/ or safety engineering gained from successfully leading projects and/ or teams to achieve new product safety deliverables, including:
- develop safety plans
- FTA studies
- FMEA development with respect to safety
- safety requirement specifications
- functional safety assessments
- HAZID/HAZOP techniques
- verification and validation test procedures.
- Demonstrate technical competency to review the work of others.
- Demonstrate prior ability to lead, manage, coach and develop a small team.
- Ability to change priorities quickly and deliver simultaneously across projects of different priorities and pace. Results driven.
- Excellent communication skills able to convey ideas simply to a diverse audience. A confident presenter of complex technical subject matter.
- An open and co-operative approach, empathetic of others with a pleasant and collaborative outlook. A team player.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.