- Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Within Dyson Research we define what’s next. At the very start of the new product ideas chain lays the technologies that enable them. Dyson Research delivers the long term support to the global company growth through technology innovation in our state of the art Wiltshire campus. Our New Product Innovation team relies on the development of key technologies for new innovative products, after which the New Product Development team carries them through to manufacturing; Dyson Research not only delivers the birth of new technologies but also supports those technologies through to their realisation and integration within a product.
About the role
You will work within the Environmental Care Research Team as an expert in the field of structural dynamics, explicit FEA and structure-borne vibrations. Your role will be to deliver future technology roadmaps through disruptive and pioneering research. You will take accountability for delivery of core technologies as well as support product innovation with extensive experience within your field. You will be regarded as an expert in your field and a role model collaborator who fosters a growth mindset within the team, constantly learning and supporting the development of those around you.
- Scope, initiate and deliver product focused structural dynamic simulations and solutions.
- Coordinate complex technical projects requiring multidisciplinary and multi-physics approach.
- Analyse results, summarise findings and communicate these to senior management and executive leadership.
- Liaise with development teams to ensure effective transfer of technology into future product range.
- Identify potential research areas which would benefit from new technology development.
- Present concepts to Senior Management (including James Dyson) when required.
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring of colleagues within the team, in order to drive technical advancement of the business and ensure deliverables are met to a high standard.
- Liaise with other stakeholders within Dyson to deliver products in line with the roadmap and strategy.
- Be hands-on; moving between experimental work and simulation where required, often pioneering new techniques.
- Provide input into the generation of the Environmental Care Research roadmap and strategy
- Conduct/support research with external institutes and universities toward future technology/capability development.
- A degree (2:1 or higher) in Mechanical Engineering, or other relevant engineering discipline.
- Extensive experience in structural dynamics, mechanical engineering, materials engineering and working knowledge of vibro-acoustics.
- The ability to take the lead position within the team, whilst maintaining a collaborative, mentoring position with fellow team members.
- Provide technical support and direction to multiple project teams.
- Flexible and efficient approach to solve problems using the appropriate level of detail at each stage.
- A pioneer in the field of part design and optimisation through advanced simulation tools.
- Capability of guiding experimental validation programs.
- Expertise in the use of Finite Element Modelling in relation to structural analysis, fatigue/fracture, shock/impact, non-linear materials, etc.
- Significant experience in dynamic, explicit FEA (e.g. LS Dyna) coupled with experimental methods.
- Working knowledge of using structural dynamic simulations (ANSYS and COMSOL preferred) for vibro-acoustic predictions
- Experience of designing and carrying out high quality experimental validation programs covering modal analysis and transfer path analysis. (MATLAB and Siemens Test.Lab preferred).
- Experience in the use of Siemens NX (or similar CAD packages) and generating engineering drawings to GD & T standards would be an advantage.
- Working knowledge of turbomachinery and aero-acoustics would be an advantage.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.