- Operational Engineering
- China - Shanghai Office
Primarily lead the Dyson Tooling and Molding Operations and an overall Lead to deliver NPI and Sustaining Projects Tooling and Molding deliverables together with localization development for long term .
1. To provide tooling support to our Dyson design Teams to ensure capability of product designs. To work together with RDD for developing innovative tool designs/ new technologies / and mature the NPI product design to manufacturing without compromising product design intent.
2. To work closely with a small team of locally based tooling engineers and supporting administration functions to support the designing, procurement and maintenance of our tools.
3. To co-ordinate our tool vendors in terms of on time delivery and quality of work
• Collaborates with personnel from RDD, Quality, Manufacturing, Process/Assembly Technology, and manages outside mold maker/molding vendors and contract manufacturer. Creates a seamless collaborate with RDD to ensure successful product launches.
• Communicates, coordinates, leads and executes tool design activities and molding process development activities including tooling validation. Responsible for mold tool and process development from the prototype stage to full commercial scale.
4. For new tooling – review vendor recommendations as given by our Commercial Team to ensure that the vendor has both the capacity and capability to perform their tasks.
5. To sign off and approve new tool DFM and General Assembly drawings (robust tools, cooling, injection, ejection, Type of steel to be used and the steel conditions, movements etc)
6. To review the tool designer recommendation of tool size, cavity quantity, cycle time estimates and tool cost estimates.
• Can evaluate and modify cad models, use mold flow simulation techniques, along with mold cavity process monitoring instrumentation.
7. To advise recommend action on tool repair requests as made by Prime Contractors
8. Propose vendor and delivery times for tool modifications and repairs.
• Manages assigned projects, using advanced project management tools, providing tracking and regular updates of project plan and project budget.
• Define requirements for injection molding processes, automation, and other technologies from concept evaluation through pilot production, process optimization, validation, and commercialization.
9. To ensure that Dyson tooling assets are maintained, and the asset lists are accurate and up to date in terms of description and locations.
10. To support tool maintenance schedules for the entire suite of Dyson tools.
11. To make sure Dyson Malaysia receive all the drawings on disc for history reference as is requested
12.to make sure All Dyson toolmakers work to the tooling Manuel using good working practises to deliver a good robust tool fit for purpose as quoted and on time
13) Mold design detail review (CAT A)
14) Consolidate and develop preferred mold design for common parts.
a) Cat A tools
b) Shared tools (mold life, interchangeabilities etc)
15) Mold flow analysis specific to mold making and Category A product
16) Optimize and standardize molding machine capacity and process for Cat A product as the priority
17) Able to work and manage High Volume/Low Mix, Low Volume/High Mix projects which needs capacity planning, understanding the shared/repeat tools and utilizations etc..
• Subject matter expert in tooling, scientific Molding, plastic materials, and can perform molded part/tooling estimation. Able to train, mentor and counsel assistants and team members in the area of proper manufacturability of high volume medical molded parts.
• Assesses new product designs, ensuring part designs can be injection molded economically. Performs Design for Mold-ability, Assembly & Scale-ability assessments (DFM/DFA). Ensures that material chosen for parts are economical and appropriate and estimates capital and product costs.
18) Able to work in high pressure situations to manage multiple priorities and expectations
19) Cost reduction, cycle time/cost/quality monitoring to deliver business and KPI requirements.
20) Over see the Molding operations of the CM and Sub-Molders for parts supply assurance , Dyson standards adherence and tools preventive maintenance management etc..
Other duties Include:
• Works independently in the development of a project plan and execution by prioritizing and scheduling the completion of assignments, within budget constraints. Completes the above with little direction and without a starting template
• Lead in CIP programs to further reduce work redundancy and efficiency by streamlining processes and standardization.
• Other duties as assigned
• At least 10-15 years of working experience in Tool Design/ Machining /Injection tooling and moulding field
- Tool design / development with hands on experience in tool design and selection of steel/hot runner/gating systems etc..
- Injection moulding process in-depth knowledge in machine selection, process development, trouble shooting, hot runner selection w.r.t application and product requirement.
• Knowledge and experience to interpret 3D CAD files and 2D drawing
• Candidates history should cover complex mold design, and molding machine process development. Proven ability to make changes to part design for moldability /manufacturability. Demonstrated leadership as a molding lead within a cross functional group with direct responsibility for positive project results.
• Good verbal and written communication skills
• Problem solving with analytical skills able to question and challenge when needed
• Team player and good at communicating with all levels
• Previous experience writing part specifications and managing vendors who make equipment, molds, and provide custom molding services with strong supplier management skills
• Six Sigma Green Belt certification desirable
• Strong analytical and empirical skills. Proven ability to execute scientific molding principles with a full understanding of DOE processes and statistical software(s) like Minitab
• RJG Master Molder training/certification or similar skill set desirable
• Experience in metrology and development of fixtures and measurement methods
• CAD experience in UG or another CAD system is a plus.
• Ability to interpret, edit and correct part models and drawings and in addition complete and/or critically evaluate molding simulations
• Capable of working under minimal supervision and taking ownership of critical projects
• Experience developing new products from concept to launch phase, including pilot capabilities to full production scale-up
• Experience with Mold Flow analysis for part design and moldability
• Excellent verbal and written communication in the English and Chinese is a must
• Good interpersonal and project management skills.
• Proactive and self-starter. High energy level to work in pressure and dynamic environment
• Understanding mechanical drawings and performance parameters.
• Aptitude for trouble shooting and problem solving.
• Understanding plastic / metal part design and process
• Able to use Microsoft office applications
• Minimum Certificate in Mechanical Engineering discipline
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.