- SGD Competitive Remuneration Package
- Energy storage
- Singapore - Singapore
Being a pivotal role in the concept to production of a Dyson Designed Cell puts the Energy Storage Development (ESD) team at the heart of this exciting journey. The Team will translate early concept directions into fully developed, optimised & validated solutions to make at high volume for the next generation of Dyson products. Also the Team contributes to provide vision on quality issues and failure root cause identification for cell reliability, safety and performance.
About the role
This role houses the project lead for the battery cell diagnostics. Be the junction point among cell non-destructive/destructive analysis, simulation members and related pack/product teams to specify critical cell failure causes and provide robust solution for urgent quality issues and future prevention to cell/pack/product sides.
A successful candidate will have experienced technical skills to translate cell quality issues from cell/pack/product incidents, initiate cell failure root causes analysis, plan and allocate cell diagnostic characterisation, clarify underlying problems/solution and summarize results for all stakeholders.
Reporting to the ESD Cell Application Manager, subsequently to the Energy Storage Director. The role will encompass project and object management, technical analysis and communication.
- Be the leading part of internal battery cell diagnostics involving cell quality issue identification, failure analysis planning and conduction with relevant teams and feedback to cell/pack/product stakeholders to facilitate the solving process and future prevention.
- Initiate cell failure root cause analysis for cell reliability, safety and performance risks by cascading down to potential fault causes based on mutually exclusive, collectively exhaustive (MECE) principle.
- Plan punctual cell diagnosis timeline prioritising highly suspected causes and collaborate with cell non-destructive/destructive analysis and simulation members to conduct comprehensive inhouse cell failure analysis.
- Specify cell failure modes, mechanisms and causes from the entire viewpoints and deep consideration of both empirical and theoretical analysis results.
- Work closely with battery pack/product teams by giving clear feedback of cell failure causes and correlation with pack/product operating condition to contribute to find out effective solution to fix quality issues quickly.
- Support to provide internal opinions for cell quality issues based on intensive inhouse cell diagnosis to accelerate problem solving and future prevention with external cell suppliers.
- Summarize and document cell quality incident reports timely to share relevant teams and senior management to update robust cell audit criteria, preventive pack/product design requirements.
- Help cell non-destructive/destructive cell analysis members to perform hands-on cell diagnostic activities if required.
- Build and manage relationships with internal departments, battery cell suppliers, external regulators, industry bodies within Energy Storage.
- Demonstrate clear presentation of technical information and supporting documentation to ensure accurate hand over either to other teams within the UK or Far East.
- Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve on efficiency.
Experience / Requirements:
- 5+ years’ experience related to lithium-ion battery (LIB) cylindrical cell failure analysis that covers entire cell reliability, safety and performance issues.
- Experience working with LIB cylindrical cell design, development or production.
- An ability to disassemble LIB cylindrical cells safely with minimal sample damages.
- Experience of LIB cell fault tree analysis (FTA) to prioritise required characterisation and digest experimental/simulated data for robust cell failure cause analysis
- Broad understanding of LIB cell failure modes, mechanisms and causes related to cell mechanical design, manufacturing process, operating condition and material properties.
- A skill to demonstrate cell failure causes based on right characterisation methodology and well-organized test results
- Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA) experience to capture potential risks and provide failure prevention solution
- Documentation skill to summarize analysis reports clearly
- Strong organisational skills with a methodical and detailed approach.
- Persistent approach to problem solving and an inquisitive nature.
- Must demonstrate a passion for working for Dyson.
- Experience in LIB pack/product failure analysis in markets
- When required, travel to other Dyson facilities in Asia/UK for project engineering build support.
Qualifications / Professional Memberships:
- Educated to Masters Degree level (scientific/engineering based)
BenefitsDyson Singapore monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and bonuses. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy a transport allowance and comprehensive medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.