- Design and Development
- Singapore - Technology Centre
Being a pivotal role in the concept to production of a Dyson Designed Cell puts the Energy Storage Development (ESD) team at the heart of this exciting journey. The Team will translate early concept directions into fully developed, optimised & validated solutions to make at high volume for the next generation of Dyson products. Also the Team contributes to provide vision on quality issues and failure root cause identification for cell reliability, safety and performance.
About the role
This role houses the ownership for mathematical modelling/simulation-based cell failure analysis for internal battery cell diagnostics. Utilize deep expertise in lithium-ion battery (LIB) cell failure analysis based on multi-physics CAE to refine/reinforce assumed failure logic from empirical analysis results and predict potential risks for future prevention.
A successful candidate will have experienced technical skills to build multi-physics cell analysis models incorporating dimensional, mechanical, thermal, electrical and electrochemical aspects to simulate cell failure modes/mechanism/causes and effects of cell design parameters.
Reporting to the ESD Cell Application Manager, subsequently to the Energy Storage Director. The role will encompass object management, deep technical analysis and communications.
- Be the owner of mathematical modelling/simulation-based cell failure analysis for internal battery cell diagnostics especially focused in LIB cylindrical cells to provide detailed and clear explanation of cell failure modes, mechanism and causes.
- Build multi-physics cell analysis modelling/simulation capability that captures dimensional, mechanical, thermal, electrical and electrochemical failure root causes with cell/part parameter control for cell reliability, safety and performance.
- You will be the modelling/simulation-based cell analysis subject matter expert and primary contact point for related software/hardware, testing, advice, support, training and coaching.
- Collaborate and discuss deeply with cell diagnostics members to refine/reinforce probable cell failure causes from empirical analysis sides by combining theoretical outputs and predict/prevent potential risks based on cell/part parameter effects.
- Conduct and manage whole modelling/simulation cell analysis activities with required resolution, consistency in experiments, calculation time optimisation to give precise analysis feedback to relevant members/teams on time.
- Support to provide internal opinions for cell quality issues from the viewpoint of simulated cell analysis to accelerate problem solving and future prevention with external cell suppliers.
- Devise and utilize data analysis tools and visualisation techniques to consolidate acquired simulated analysis data and share clear explanation effectively.
- Help non-destructive/destructive cell analysis members to support their activities if required.
- Build and manage relationships with internal departments, simulation software/hardware suppliers within Energy Storage.
- Demonstrate clear presentation of technical information and supporting documentation to ensure accurate hand over either to other teams within the UK or Far East.
- Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve on efficiency.
Experience / Requirements:
- 3+ years’ experience related to modelling/simulation-based LIB cell failure analysis.
- Experience of multi-physics modelling/simulation for LIB cell/part/material including dimensional (shape, size), mechanical (strength, volume change, internal/external stress, friction, adhesion), thermal (heat generation/transfer/dissipation/distribution), electrical (insulation/conductivity, current density distribution) and electrochemical (P2D/P3D model, thermodynamic/kinetic reaction, overpotential separation) methodology.
- Deep understanding of LIB cell modelling/simulation/analysis tools (COMSOL, Ansys, Star CCM+, Python, MATLAB, Simulink etc.), hardware/software specification and management.
- Empirical cell test skills to close the gap between simulated and experimental results.
- Documentation skill to summarize standard operating procedure (SOP) and analysis reports clearly.
- Strong organisational skills with a methodical and detailed approach.
- Persistent approach to problem solving and an inquisitive nature.
- Must demonstrate a passion for working for Dyson.
- Experience working with LIB cylindrical cell design, development or production
- Experience of fault tree analysis (FAT) and Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA) for root cause identification and failure prevention.
- Experience in modelling/simulation for LIB pack/product failure analysis in markets
- When required, travel to other Dyson facilities in Asia/UK for project engineering build support.
Qualifications / Professional Memberships:
- Educated to Masters Degree level (scientific/engineering based)
Dyson Singapore monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and bonuses. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy a transport allowance and comprehensive medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition.
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.