Our global reputation is priceless and it always hangs on what we do next. Dyson is a unique technology enterprise. We pioneer. Our biggest category today didn’t even exist a few years ago. Our next biggest category? That could be where you come in.
Dyson is growing fast and our ambition is huge - more categories, more locations and more people. Pioneering technology takes more than just inventive engineers. At Dyson, we take a problem-solving approach to everything we do.
Category finance teams work as finance business partners for Category leadership. We support development and delivery of Dyson’s financial plans by providing financial decision support throughout the product lifecycle: design-development-launch-sale-end of life. This involves product focussed commercial financial planning and analysis, the management of business cases for Research, Design & Development (RDD) projects, and planning and control of Category RDD & Operations budgets.
We are an adaptable team that provides key financial insights to the wider business, reacting to the needs and requirements as they evolve. The team translates often complex commercial objectives and engineering challenges into a business case format, accounting for all relevant information. The magic begins when we communicate these often-complex models back to the relevant business stakeholders in an easily understandable language.
About the role
Reporting into the Head of Category Finance, the Finance Manager will be responsible to create, develop and maintain financial business cases for multiple, identified Category projects. This includes chairing monthly Finance Health Check (deep dive business case reviews) with relevant senior leadership and contributing to overall cross-Category finance business case process improvement projects.
As well as ensuring the reporting is uniform and consistent the manager should always be questioning assumptions made and information given. At Dyson we never settle, if something can be done more effectively then this should be proposed and implemented if appropriate. Financial information should be effectively communicated to the wider business. Business partnering with all relevant teams to ensure business cases are up-to-date and wider teams are supported with all relevant information.
Primary role duties
* Create, develop and maintain financial business cases for multiple, identified Category projects.
* Prepare and chair a monthly Finance Health Check (multi-stakeholder business case review) for identified projects.
* Business partnering with Commercial, Costing and Engineering team to understand and deep dive into business cases assumptions, ensuring robustness and clear direction to success as part of Financial Health Checks.
* Constantly looking to identity opportunities in revenue generation and cost reduction. As well as working with stakeholders to mitigate or eliminate risk through the course of the project business case life cycle.
* Represent finance in project "milestone" meetings.
Secondary/additional role duties
* Lead or support cross-category financial business case process improvement projects where relevant.
* Provide visibility to other members of the Category finance team of targets and guidance arising from business case reviews that are relevant to their roles.
* Business partner with relevant parties
* Complete ad-hoc analysis when required
* Search for opportunities to improve the way of working and the information presented.
Previous work experience
* The role involves developing company wide assessments of the impact of new projects and therefore benefits from a diversity of finance experience across different finance function and/or business areas: e.g. Controlling, FP&A, Market Commercial, Operations, etc. Candidates are not expected to have direct experience of every area but to bring some external perspective to the role and show awareness of and interest in other areas.
* The ideal candidate will have experience calculating financial evaluation metrics, e.g. Net Present Value (NPV), Internal Rate of Return (IRR) and payback for new product ideas/projects. However, demonstrated technical knowledge of these techniques is acceptable.
Specific technical qualifications/exposure
* A globally recognised professional accounting qualification, e.g. ACA, ACCA, CIMA, CPA etc.
* Experience in rigorous financial planning, analysis and/or strategy experience
* Excellent analytical ability and Excel spreadsheet skills
* Good planning and organisation skills
* Ability to understand concepts and ideas quickly and model data in meaningful ways
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us