- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
We’re growing – fast. Our ambition is huge. We're about better ideas and better technologies. It's about finding better ways to work in more new markets and bright new categories.Dyson is different. Our culture is unique. It's not easy or comfortable. It's certainly not for everyone. But if you thrive on challenge and are excited by change – it could be for you.
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
About the roleThe procurement team is expanding to keep up with our ambition. This has created new roles for Category Managers across all the procurement categories – Marketing, IT, Property, Professional Services, Retail, Logistics. We want you to help shape our strategy. We’re a lean team focused on driving real value in enabling a rapidly growing business.
This is a fantastic opportunity to take a role in a category with a global remit. We are looking for people who can create impact and will thrive within a dynamic environment. We are implementing the very latest procurement technology to help us deliver our goals.
Professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition.
Largely office-based out of Malmesbury, Wiltshire, UK, this role would suit someone looking to apply their abilities to improving business outcomes, rather than ticking boxes.
The role will support in the creation of the professional services and legal services categories strategy, owning all elements within the respective sub-categories. With specific category knowledge, this will be achieved through the creation of dynamic robust forward-looking plans that use the full range of supply and demand-side levers including the execution of these plans and the achievement of savings. The role will develop influential relationships across the business.
Impact on Business
- Develop a supply base to build the capacity and capability to deliver the business’ requirements.
- Developing innovative and streamlining initiatives in conjunction with business partners to reduce bottom line costs.
- The Category Manager will also be responsible for supporting the creation of the overall category strategy, the creation of sub-category strategies and plans to achieve or exceed agreed savings targets for the category.
- Driving business outcomes and behaviours with subject matter expertise to deliver value through the category planning lifecycle.
- Constantly monitoring the supplier market and identify opportunities resulting from new product offerings and/or market shifts (e.g. entry or exit of suppliers, changes in pricing, risk on category).
- Seeking alternatives to current category specifications and demand parameters.
Customers / Stakeholders
- With the Head of Category Procurement and stakeholders, develop and continually review robust, forward-looking sub category plans based on business and product needs, supply market dynamics, and technological changes in marketplace.
- Influence the businesses and drive the application of a variety of commercial models to deliver the most appropriate business outcomes.
- Ensure alignment with all key stakeholders within Procurement and the business on category decisions.
- Support the SCM in influencing policy thinking, provide timely responses to audit reports and report category costs as appropriate.
- Implement or maintain an appropriate global, regional, national strategy within the sub-categories and, with the support of relevant in market procurement, manage compliance to contracts.
- Support supplier relationship management in the classification of new suppliers to determine the most appropriate SRM treatment.
- Work with the SCM to manage resourcing within the category to deliver sourcing projects.
- Exemplify the Dyson values: Different, Authentic, Pioneering.
- Exemplify the Dyson behaviours: Independence, Integrity, Transparency, Loyalty
- Bring drive, energy and pace to project activity.
- Display strong influencing skills.
- Communicate procurement guidelines into the business.
- Support change projects.
- Adopt and leverage agile ways of working.
- Make time and care about personal development, keeping a live development plan.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
- Deliver a pipeline of projects to achieve or exceed agreed savings target for the category.
- Understand complex business problems, apply analytical thinking and market knowledge to drive the most appropriate business outcome.
- Communicate category concepts in a way that is relevant to the business.
- Ensure category and project data (savings, pipeline, milestones, risks, issues, taxonomy) is accurate and reflective of reality.
- Ensure quality of content and compliance with relevant sourcing and category planning governance.
- Monitor the status of the projects, and drive corrective action to ensure savings targets are achieved or exceeded.
- Work with the SCM to prioritise and schedule all strategic sourcing initiatives for the year, in alignment with business milestones.
- Embed best practices and compliance to the operating model.
- Support the development and enhancement of the operating model.
- Maintain credibility and relevance with the business so that the category management team becomes true business partners and acknowledged as a clear benefit.
- Develop a reputation for delivery that quickly earns credibility.
- Develop and maintain a stakeholder network in a complex and dynamic business environment.
- Embrace change with a positive attitude.
Management of Risk
- Continually reassess the operational risks associated with the sub-categories, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management changes, and the impact of new technology.
- Ensure that all agreements are established in accordance with Dyson standards and procedures.
- Always ensures an appropriate balance of risk with the cost of control.
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent, CIPS with clear route to advancement towards MCIPS,.
- 5 – 10 years procurement experience, with at least 2 years recent experience in the procurement of professional and legal services
- Good numeracy & analytical skills.
- experience of working in a matrix organisation.
- Able to work in diverse environments and adhere to highest ethical standards.
- Confidence and credibility with good communication and relationship management skills with the ability to engage and influence middle to senior level stakeholders.
- Comfortable in a dynamic, fast-paced, challenging environment
- Sustains personal energy, productivity, encouraging good resilience in others.
- A driven self-starter, who can work autonomously and as part of a small team.
- Identifies and raises opportunities and/or challenges.
- Takes action to simplify complexity.
- Recognised expertise in the specific category applicable to the role
- Evidence of managing a sub-category through the whole life cycle, from strategy creation through procurement to supplier management.
- Commercially astute and with a strong eye for detail.
- Proven ability to solve problems and to influence decision making.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Self-aware, knows own strengths and limitations.
- Prepared to travel as necessary/appropriate in the performance of duties.
- Good knowledge of Professional and Legal Services procurement.
- Good understanding of e-procurement processes and systems (Ariba)
- Project management experience.
- Working knowledge of contract law.
- Skilled or capable of being skilled in all sourcing process disciplines.
- Working knowledge of multiple categories / commodities.
- Experience of working in operational areas within categories or supply base.
- Experience of working with global teams
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Private medical insurance
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.