- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
Cell and Battery Development Engineers – Entry Level/Senior/Lead
Due to a significant expansion in activities, the Global Power Electronics & Energy Storage Development Team is looking to increase its headcount of Engineers working on cell and battery development projects. As part of the wider Global Engineering & Operations Group, successful candidates will have the opportunity to work across different product categories and with teams from a range of engineering disciplines (Power Electronics, Electronics, Mechanical & Product Design, Procurement, Compliance etc etc). Level dependent, Engineers will have responsibility for the integration, performance evaluation and delivery of energy storage technologies across numerous complex products and systems.
About the role
Depending on your experience level, on a day to day basis you would be expected to demonstrate the following capabilities and take part in and/or lead the following activities:
- Verification and qualification of new cells and energy storage solutions.
- Partnering with development teams to translate product level goals into cell and pack level performance targets; responsible for defining technical requirements and feasible deliverables.
- Concept development & top-level planning of project plans
- Fault-finding & Root cause analysis of issues.
- Mentor and ambassador for group – working with teams in both the UK and SEA as the subject matter expert on Batteries & Energy Storage Technologies.
- Supplier management
- Designing, implementing and delivering test plans that further our understanding of cell degradation under product conditions and consumer usage scenarios.
- Review work completed by others and where appropriate, be prepared to provide guidance and mentoring support to team members.
- You should hold a degree in a relevant engineering or scientific discipline (2:1 or above is desirable).
- Ideally, we would like candidates to hold a master’s degree or PhD, again in a relevant field – but a postgraduate qualification is not essential, especially if you have industrial experience instead.
- You should also have at thorough knowledge and understanding of Battery Technologies, especially Li-Ion, their fundamental electrochemical processes and their application in product environments.
- Notwithstanding the above, we are also happy to consider applications from Graduates, providing you can demonstrate that you have a strong interest to work in Battery Development.
- Capability to communicate complex issues to non-specialists in the field of Batteries and Electrochemistry will also be an essential skill set (you will be asked to demonstrate your presentation and communication skills as part of the interview process).
For more the more experienced positions:
- You should be a proficient user of industry standard battery cyclers e.g. Maccor, Arbin, Bitrode, Solartron, Biologic etc. (Maccor experience is preferred).
- We would also like you to have experience using and developing models that enable performance and lifetime predictions, although this is not essential.
- A working understanding of Battery Management Hardware and Embedded Battery Management Software is also desirable.
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.