- Operational Engineering
- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
At Dyson we are obsessed with continuously making things better, pushing the boundaries of what others have defined as impossible. We do this by making products that solve real-world problems using both novel and established technologies in new and innovative ways.
Our Verification and Test Team plays an integral part in determining how, when, and where we verify and validate innovative technologies and products to ensure designs are robust to real-world conditions and perform better than the competition. While our primary function is to verify requirements, at the early stages of a project we add value by characterising the performance of prototypes and feeding back data to drive good design.
We're committed to our campus culture and don’t look to offer a regular hybrid working arrangement. This helps us to achieve the spirit of Dyson – collaboration, creativity, and inventiveness – in our inspiring, social, and dynamic workspaces.
About the role
We are seeking a highly skilled CNC Machinist to join our Malmesbury team. The role entails producing precision machined parts through CNC machine programming, setup, and operation, with a focus on maintaining quality and safety standards. This includes record-keeping, equipment maintenance, and inventory management.
In this position, you will meticulously plan machining operations by analysing work orders, engineering drawings, and material specifications, while also interpreting geometric dimensions and tolerances (GD&T). You will be responsible for organising material inventory, ensuring sufficient stock levels, and expediting orders when necessary.
Your role will also involve setting up both manual and CNC milling machines and lathes, including the installation and adjustment of various components and attachments. Safety is a top priority, and you will be expected to strictly adhere to safety procedures and risk assessments.
Maintaining equipment is a critical aspect of this role, encompassing preventive maintenance, troubleshooting, and liaising with contractors for repairs. Additionally, you will compile a comprehensive service history for each machine tool. Quality control is integral, with a requirement to document measurement data through inspection reports, collaborating with the Metrology department.
To stay at the forefront of CNC machining, you will actively engage in educational opportunities and training courses, continuously advancing your expertise and knowledge. This role demands precision, attention to detail, and a commitment to maintaining high-quality standards in CNC machining operations.
- Proficient in CNC CAD/CAM with operational knowledge and relevant qualifications
- Industry experience in CAD/CAM and advanced CNC machining
- Skilled in G and M codes, as well as NC programming
- Extensive knowledge of conventional and CNC machining, including troubleshooting
- Fluent in CAD/CAM programming, with expertise in interpreting CNC software, preferably Siemens NX
- Familiarity with Fanuc, Siemens, Prototrak, and Hurco Winmax CNC Control Systems
- Able to optimize post processors in collaboration with third parties
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional troubleshooting and problem-solving abilities
- Experienced in training and mentoring other Machinists, providing on-the-job training, and offering leadership to less experienced machinists
- Performance-related bonus scheme
- Competitive pension scheme
- Life assurance
- Discounts on Dyson machines and retail purchases
- Free bus travel to and from campus (from Bristol, Bath, Chippenham, and Swindon)
- Generous holiday allowance of 27 days (plus bank holidays)
- Free on-site lunches, fruit, and hot drinks
- Access to on-site sports centre, gym, hair salon, and lifestyle assistance
- Electric vehicle salary sacrifice scheme
- Option to purchase additional holiday days
- Private medical insurance and dental insurance
- Employee assistance programme
- Digital GP services
- On-site physiotherapy and GP services
- Prescription service
- Fertility treatment support
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.