- United Kingdom - Malmesbury Office
- Things move quickly at Dyson. In twenty years, what began with one man and one idea has grown into a global technology company, with 6,000 people and a presence in over 70 countries. From Malmesbury to Malaysia to the US to Australasia and many countries in between, we’ve sold over 80 million machines.
- And it’s just the start. From 2016 our Malmesbury HQ is doubling its footprint. The US, our biggest market, is doubling their sales scope. And new frontiers are opening up across South East Asia and beyond. More people, more ideas and more space for more invention. The next four years will be our biggest and busiest yet.
- Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
- The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
- Function Overview
- Bringing brand new technology to life – and to the world – requires inventive marketing. Clarity of message. Vast reach. And engagement in more innovative ways. Working closely with our engineers, our marketeers develop powerful claims through scientific research. And from traditional channels to cutting-edge events, retail experiences, social media and PR, we seize every chance to tell the Dyson story.
About The Role
- The vital roles in the Group Commercial organisation report into the Senior Commercial Manager of a given category. During the Develop phase of projects, they are responsible for gathering media insights to scope how best to market projects and during the Design Phase using local market knowledge to assist in the development of our communication strategy. They are the sole point of contact for markets during the Develop and Design phase and are the first point of escalation during the Deliver phase for market challenges to an agreed Statement of Work (SoW).
- They will work closely with markets to ensure that the projects being delivered cover local and specific requirements while aligning with the Dyson global brand and direction – steering and influencing market teams where necessary. They will work closely with the Programme Management function to ensure projects are delivered in a timely and process compliant manner. They will review work being developed by the channel teams to ensure that it aligns with the initial project strategy.
- The Commercial Manager will always have the questions below in the forefront of their minds when making decisions:
- How will this product or campaign succeed in market?
- How will consumers view this product or campaign?
- What media/channels do I need in order to succeed in market?
- Are the market teams aligned with the vision of the product or campaign?
- The role takes ownership of the development of the communications strategy for specific projects once the Senior Commercial Manager and Product Manager have set the targets to be achieved in the Define phase. Working closely with our media insights team and markets, the role is critical in ensuring that new products and campaigns are innovative, respond to consumer behaviour and are enablers for the category commercial goals. Commercial Managers are responsible for driving the communications strategy of specific projects.
- Within the Develop phases of projects (TS to SD) assess how we will market the product.
- Work closely with the New Product Communications team to ensure that our communication strategy is developed in alignment with the wider category, involving the category Integrated Campaign Director where appropriate. Where required test messaging in market to ensure it will succeed.
- Work closely with our external media agencies to ensure that media insights inform the strategy of the project and enable us to best market our products in market.
- Work closely with the Programme Manager to scope out the size of the campaign and the internal resource, time and cost required to succeed in market.
- Work closely with the Assistant Product Manager to ensure that product specification will enable us to take the strongest messages to market.
- Within the Design phase of projects (SD to OR) communicate the strategic direction of the project with markets and channel teams and approve a Statement of Work (SoW) with market teams that will take this strategic vision to market.
- Work closely with the New Product communications team to ensure that a project strategy is documented with clear and concise aims and objectives. Share work with market teams and incorporate media and local market insights into strategic thinking.
- Work closely with the Programme Management team to ensure that decisions are made at the right time and projects follow the correct process and governance framework.
- Document strategic thinking into a clear project brief and share this with channel teams and the Integrated Campaign team during channel immersion to ensure that they are suitably equipped to bring the project to life.
- Review and approve a SoW from channel teams. The Commercial Manger is responsible for sharing this with internal (Senior Commercial Manager, Integrated Campaign Director) and external (markets) stakeholders to ensure that everyone is aligned on what will be delivered for launch.
- Within the Deliver phase of projects (post-OR), the Commercial Manager is responsible for reviewing and approving content.
- Accountable for ensuring all project campaign materials are aligned to the project strategy.
- Accountable for ensuring markets are aligned with the SoW and for negotiating with markets regarding additions/changes to the SoW – including the Project Manager where changes are considered.
- Responsible for signing off the Project Campaign kit.
- Coach the Commercial Executive on how and why the deliverables from channel teams align to the project strategy and how this can deliver success to markets.
- Onsite at Malmesbury 5 days
- Performance related bonus
- Company paid Life Insurance
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Competitive pension scheme
- 27 days holiday plus statutory bank holidays
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidized café providing endless free coffee and tea, and a free lunch
- Private Medical insurance
- On-site gym
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.