- Competitive compensation
- Chicago, IL, Chicago - USA
Dyson’s Summer Internship Program is a chance for rising seniors and graduate students (those completing their programs in 2021) at accredited US colleges and universities to join what Fast Company has called one of The Most Innovative Companies in the World. Our internships are different - it’s one of the reasons we were ranked one of the Top 100 Internship Programs in the Country in 2017 – and you will have the opportunity to show your skills and make contributions that impact our owners, our people and our global business.
The Communications team is responsible for bringing Dyson’s development process, technology, people and investments to life through engaging Communications campaigns. From traditional media channels to cutting-edge press events and influencer experiences, our in-house teams are encouraged – just like our engineers – to turn the world upside down and explore new approaches to tell the Dyson story.
What to expect from Dyson’s Summer Internship Program:
- We believe people should be paid for their work. Interns are no exception - these are full-time, paid internships including a housing stipend to spend the summer in Chicago if you are from outside of the Chicagoland area.
- The program will run for approximately 10-12 weeks (May/June - August 2020), and flexible based on academic calendars)
- Lunch and learns from Dyson leaders on our business, our strategy, and more!
- Special intern-only outings and trainings
- Leadership opportunities
- A brand-new US Headquarters office in Chicago, IL
- Feedback from your manager, both during the program, and a summer-end recap to make sure you get the most of your time at Dyson
- Inside Dyson onboarding – learning the fundamentals of our products, people and strategy.
- Team immersion – shadow, learn and support the day-to-day of your function while making real contributions, learning new skills, and challenging you to begin driving your internship.
- The brief: intro to your mission – work side-by-side with team members or other interns on large-scale projects or be assigned a functional project to lead yourself from beginning to end.
- Learning challenges – you will be expected to drive real projects forward and find new ways to contribute and grow as a leader. Through leadership trainings, skills challenges and day-to-day learning, you’ll grow by doing.
- Solving problems others ignore – participate in design thinking workshops with the James Dyson Foundation and lead initiatives in our communities to help inspire the next generation of engineers.
- New ventures: Our internship program will challenge you and prepare you for whatever your next career move brings. We’re looking for the best of the best, and top talent may end their summer with an offer for an Early Career role at Dyson, depending on your performance and the business need. An Early Career role gives you the chance to grow, learn, and contribute to Americas critical projects with global influence after graduation.
- Free unlimited cold-brew
- In-office Barista Bar
- Casual dress
- Intern outings
- You won’t just be an intern, you’ll be a key member of the Dyson team. You can expect to be tasked with project(s) that capitalize on your existing skills and stretch you out of your comfort zone. Your daily responsibilities will differ depending on the team you are on and the variety of business-critical projects means that no two roles will be alike, but you could expect some of the following responsibilities: Support the day-to-day communications responsibilities of the Americas market, working under the direction of the Communications team.
- Lead on reporting activities such as daily clips emails and coverage tracking reports.
- Assist with execution of press and influencer events and product communications campaigns.
- Identify influencers and lead communication strategy initiatives.
- Analyze market insights and provide summaries of key findings and trends to stakeholders.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders, including finance and sales, to coordinate on business initiatives.
- Develop deep familiarity across product categories and be part of the process of disseminating insights, data and knowledge to key stakeholders.
- Contribute to a multitude of projects that emerge in a fast-paced environment.
- Become an expert in Dyson products and the way we portray our brand.
- Work with fellow interns and US Leadership Team on cross-functional project, presented to key stakeholders throughout the program.
- Rising undergraduate senior or graduate student (expected to graduate in Spring 2021).
- Some business knowledge through coursework and/or other internship experiences.
- Willing to relocate to Chicago with the possibility of travel.
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Able to write concise, engaging and informative copy.
- Storytelling. You love to tell rich, engaging stories and have a knack for identifying what will resonate with specific people and audiences.
- Project management, organizational, and time management skills. We move fast and do a lot of things at Dyson! The ability to balance multiple projects, campaigns and other duties – while making deadlines – is essential.
- Flexibility. Agility is incredibly important at Dyson because we are always moving so quickly. It’s crucial for the individual in this role to be comfortable changing courses quickly and efficiently to achieve desired outcomes.
- Team work and collaboration. Able to build and maintain effective working relationships and work cooperatively with others as part of a team.
- Proactive and a doer. While working with others is a vital part of the role, we also need to be able to work autonomously and take the initiative to identify work that needs to be done and ways to support the team.
- Creativity. Demonstrates imagination, creativity and divergent thinking and applies these skills when solving problems.
- Passion. You have a passion for and deep understanding/appreciation of media, technology, beauty and health. And, of course, Dyson.
- Education curriculum focused in a communications related field
- Intermediate to advanced skills with MS office and Outlook
- Previous internship experience with technology or consumer companies and/or in similar communications functions