- United Kingdom - London Press Office
Dyson is a global research and technology company with engineering, research, development, manufacturing and testing operations in Singapore, the UK, Malaysia, and the Philippines. Having started in a coach house in the UK, Dyson has consistently grown since it was established in 1993.
Today, it has two technology campuses in the UK spanning over 800 acres in Malmesbury and Hullavington and a global headquarters in Singapore. Dyson remains family-owned and employs over 14,000 people globally including 6,000 engineers and scientists. It sells products in 83 markets internationally.
But we’re not stopping there, Dyson is investing £2.75bn in the business to conceive revolutionary products and technologies. Dyson has global teams of engineers, scientists and software developers focused on the development of solid-state battery cells, high-speed electric digital motors, sensing and vision systems, robotics, machine learning technologies and A.I. investment.
Since inventing the first cyclonic bagless vacuum cleaner - DC01- in 1993, Dyson has created problem solving technologies for haircare, air purification, robotics, lighting, and hand drying.
About The Job
As Communications Manager, you will focus on the Hair Care category and will be required to work on strategic projects across our Environmental Care, Professional, Floorcare and Lighting categories across key launch periods and high impact moments. You will have the flexibility to pivot priorities as our company develops and grows.
- Be a team player with a positive mental attitude. You will collaborate with the wider GB&I Communications team, global Communications and your market stakeholders across brand, marketing, digital media, insights and retail
- Focus on media relationships and influencer engagement in the UK market. Be responsible for building best in class relationships with key stakeholders, journalists, influencers and focus on creating unforgettable stories about our technology.
- Be an agile thinker and eloquent in your communication. You must be comfortable to regularly pitch to media new stories, features and angles, focusing on our technology.
- Be proactive and passionate. Strong understanding of the beauty, wellness, and technology industry. You will be strategic in your thinking and demonstrate a track record in building brand narratives.
- Thrive in a high performing environment. You will have the ability to juggle a high volume of workload and identify priorities and problem solve.
- The ability to be flexible. Willing and able to work on projects outside of your comfort zone and be agile and open.
- Strong writing skills. Be able to regularly write local stories for the Dyson Newsroom in line with commercial priorities.
- Contribute to ideas/brainstorms/pitches outside of projects you are directly working on.
- Attend events/functions to network with industry colleagues.
- Collation, reporting and analysis of coverage and campaign status and effectiveness
- Confident negotiator and excellent influencing and interpersonal skills.
Roles and responsibilities
Get stuck in from day one.
- Deliver high quantity and quality of coverage with a focus on telling stories around our problem-solving core technology, our products, our people and places and the Dyson philosophy. Generating maximum coverage, meeting KPIs for product launch campaigns across all media and social platforms
- Media and Influencer relations: maintain strong press and influencer relations to support editorial and organic social coverage. Develop new relationships with influencers across beauty, technology, wellness, and associated lifestyle categories
- Manage the Dyson Beauty Squad; our strategic influencer network championing hair diversity and technology
- Build and maintain an accurate and relevant press list to cover all areas of the media from nationals, monthly magazines through to regional/freelance/social and store media
- Localise global strategy in line with the UK market and commercial priorities, develop and implement strategies for product launches and strategic campaigns in line with business KPI’s
- Drive the momentum of awards and accreditation in the beauty and wellness category
- Integrate earned media coverage across paid and owned channels, collaborating with the category team
- Support when partnering with key UK retailers on earned media, social and influencer engagement
- Manage all media relations creation projects across influencer, media, and retailer partners
- Identify and establish relationships with hair stylists and celebrities to ensure our technology are placed with them, include hair credits in editorial coverage and leverage credibility in the professional stylist space
- Support team members in analysing and delivering coverage reports and internal presentations
- Strong skills in physical, virtual and experiential event management
- Support the Senior Communications Manager in budgetary management
- Occasionally work outside of standard working hours and flexible to regularly travel around the UK / globally for events
- A Bachelor’s degree.
- 5+ years’ experience in communications role – either in-house, agency side or as a journalist.
- Ability to build and effect change - at both a people and process level
- Demonstrable ability to engage across borders, building lasting relationships.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with top tier reporters and editors, and in successfully positioning subject matter with the media to achieve high-impact placements.
- Superior self management skills; ability to influence and engage people up, down, and across the organization in order to bring about change.
London Press Office (38 North Row) with weekly travel to our UK Innovation Campus in Malmesbury
- 27 days holiday (plus statutory bank holidays )
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Free lunches and hot drinks
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Concierge service
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.