- Graduates, Interns and Apprentices
- United States - Chicago Office
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people. Dyson launched in the US in 2002, and since then operations have grown exponentially. Our US headquarters is based in Chicago's Fulton Market neighborhood with an additional office in Ann Arbor, Michigan. We also have employees working in field sales, our service centers, and in our growing number of Dyson Demo Store’s across the country.
The James Dyson Foundation (JDF) – Dyson’s international charitable arm – aims to inspire young people to think differently, make mistakes and realize their engineering potential. The Foundation creates free K-12 engineering curricula and provides hands-on workshops to give Chicago students a glimpse into the exciting world of engineering. The Foundation also supports university students through its annual international design competition, The James Dyson Award.
We’re looking for a part-time Community Relations Intern, who can build rapport, manage projects, and excite young people about engineering, design and technology. Someone comfortable presenting to a room full of school children, undergraduates, or Dyson’s Chicago-based employees. A background in education or non-profit programs is preferred.
About the role:
• The Community Relations intern will work with Dyson’s Chicago office as well as the international JDF team, focusing on three areas; James Dyson Award outreach and administration, Dyson people engagement, and strategic educational resource distribution to school and youth program partners.
• Being a key member of the Dyson and James Dyson Foundation team, you can expect to be tasked with project(s) that capitalize on your existing skills and stretch you out of your comfort zone.
• The part-time role is from April to August based in the Chicago office with flexible remote working. This role is expected to be based in Chicago area starting in June-August with the potential opportunity to work full-time during the summer.
• Assist with execution of school workshops with students in grades K-12 and at the university level
• Develop and implement strategic outreach plans for new university partnerships for the James Dyson Award, along with supporting administrative tasks for the 2022 award.
• Manage monthly machine donation program including inquiries into the James Dyson Foundation inbox.
• Assist with execution of school workshops with students in grades K-12 and at the university level.
• Assist in creating volunteer and community engagement opportunities for Chicago Dyson people.
• Lead Chicago based summer interns in a community-involvement project utilizing Foundation’s resources.
• Work closely with the JDF international team and Dyson US PR team to increase social following and brand awareness in the US.
• Contribute to a multitude of projects that emerge in a fast-paced environment.
• Work with fellow interns and US Leadership Team on cross-functional project, presented to key stakeholders throughout the program.
• Analyze current trends of corporate philanthropic initiatives and provide summaries of key finds and trends to stakeholders.
Experience and Education:
• Rising undergraduate senior or graduate student (expected to graduate in Spring 2022)
• Some business knowledge through coursework and/or previous internship experience
• Education curriculum focused in communications, education or marketing
• Willing to relocate to Chicago, IL for summer 2022
Skills and Competencies:
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Project management, organizational, and time management skills. We move fast and do a lot of things at the James Dyson Foundation! The ability to balance multiple projects and other administrative duties – while making deadlines – is essential.
• A passion for the James Dyson Foundation’s mission and a drive to communicate that mission persuasively and uphold its integrity
• An understanding of the education system in the US
• Teamwork and collaboration. Able to build and maintain effective working relationships and work cooperatively with others as part of a team.
• Proactive and a doer. While working with others is a vital part of the role, we also need to be able to work autonomously and take the initiative.
• Creativity, in ideas and writing.
• Intermediate skills with MS office and Outlook
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.