- Shanghai - China
Dyson is growing. Fast. More products. New categories. More visual communications.
We are a creative technology company with a global and iconic identity. Our mission is simple: We solve problems others ignore with exciting new technologies which defy convention. Communicating with brevity and presenting ourselves in the right way is essential to protecting identity & building our hard earned Reputation. Every contact with our public and with other Dyson people, must reflect our values and philosophy. Perfectly.
The Centre Of Excellence (CoE) is a Dyson team responsible for maintaining the visual identity and company reputation of Dyson across Greater China (China, Hong Kong, Taiwan). We work collaboratively with local Dyson creative teams to deliver seamless consumer experiences that instil an understanding of and confidence in the products performance, distinct commercial benefits to the business and ultimately Dyson advocacy and loyalty.
About the role
As the Regional Creative Director in Shanghai reporting to the Global CoE Creative Director, you will oversee all creative and marketing for the Greater China region. At the core of the role, you’ll be applying global assets to local channels and ensuring that these assets are applied correctly, consistently and in accordance with our identity & imagery guidelines and product launch campaign kits. That means you will understand our reputation, our philosophy and ethos inside out and use this understanding to create effective Dyson experiences adapted to suit the languages, cultural nuances and locally specific channels across the Greater China markets and cities.
You will be responsible for building, leading and mentoring a creative team that includes art directors, designers, film-makers and copywriters to adapt, localize and execute Global Assets in adherence with Dyson guidelines and standards, as well as local campaigns, film productions, promotional and seasonal assets, imagery, messaging and more.
You’ll work closely with marketing teams and local creative hubs to ensure that briefs are strategically right for our reputation and appropriate for our business, balancing short term sales objectives with the longer term identity of Dyson. You’ll oversee our regional transcreation partners and third party film/video production agencies to ensure assets are implemented correctly in every channel and platform and produced to Dyson’s global creative standards.
Where global assets do not fulfil the challenges of a local market requirement, you will also conceptualise new locally relevant content and then oversee their implementation in conjunction with media, social, digital, PR and retail Dyson teams. You’ll interrogate the creative briefs for the products and technologies you’re writing about and collaborate closely with your colleagues in other teams and work across a range of consumer touchpoints to create seamless integrated campaigns. You’ll also proactively identify opportunities relevant for Dyson that push the boundaries of creative innovation and continue to tell our technology, engineering and product stories in new pioneering and insight driven ways.
And while you will be working with production partners and transcreation agencies, you will also need to be hands on; designing, directing, advising, reviewing, proof-reading and artworking while leading a local team of designers, copywriters, film-makers and content creators on a broad range of fast turn-around projects and rapid responses.
You’ll also need to be comfortable presenting work to brief owners and senior stakeholders in high profile review sessions (including GCR & DCR) – articulating ideas and confidently defending proposals with reasoned and evidenced arguments. And you’ll have the ability to work on multiple tasks, remain calm under pressure, solve problems efficiently and meet tight deadlines.
Finally you’ll love technology and build a thorough understanding of the Dyson story – our heritage, our philosophy, how we talk about ourselves and the engineering of our products
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
• Minimum 10+ years of experience in an art based branding, design or advertising agency or equivalent client-side role in a team leadership capacity
• Knowledge of the Greater China region and the unique challenges, languages, behaviors, channels and cultural nuances of Chinese consumers
• Portfolio of work that clearly demonstrates visual identity/branding understanding and expertise in designing across multiple online (RGB) and offline (CMYK finished art) channels and for a range of different applications
• Experience in leading and mentoring other designers, setting tasks and checking their work at key milestones to ensure they are on-brief and adhere to Dyson guidelines
• Experience in adapting global assets to local channels and developing localised versions of globally assets – effectively trans-creating whilst maintaining the integrity and intent of the original
• Extensive knowledge of creative/design software tools with a high level of individual hands on technical/design ability, e.g. Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects, Premiere Pro, Sketch, etc
• Bachelor’s degree in visual communication, graphic design, advertising or similar field
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.