- Starting salary will be based on experience and credentials
- Information Technology
- Chicago, IL, USA
Data and analytics excellence at Dyson are delivered by a diverse and collaborative global community spread across Dyson locations from Bristol to Chicago, Malmesbury to Singapore. Domain-specific experts form spoke analytics teams, enabled by a central team at the hub. All teams benefit from significant recent investments in cloud technologies and tools, combined with an expansive scope and no shortage of ambition and momentum; data and analytics are recognized throughout the organization, to the highest level, as critical to all of Dyson’s strategic objectives. With a ‘one-team’ approach, the global community are on a mission to…
- …evolve existing solutions to stay ahead
- …embed emerging solutions to capitalize on potential benefits
- …deliver conceptualized & future solutions to introduce net-new capability
Our Data Team: As the ‘hub’ team delivering the data, technology and community provision enabling Dyson’s global data and analytics capabilities, Global Data Services (GDS) have end-to-end responsibility for data from foundations (DQ, MDM) to management (data platforms, integrations), to value realization (analytics enablement and delivery). GDS are a multi-disciplinary, global team providing round-the-clock development and operations – including product and project management, community enablement, governance, data architecture, data engineering, data science, and analytics expertise. Involved with every aspect of Dyson’s global business - from finance to product development, manufacturing to owner experience – GDS are enjoying record-breaking investment and mandate for 2021 and beyond, seeking to deliver solutions generating impressive and tangible business value.
About the roleAs a Data Engineer you will be responsible for developing, industrializing, and optimizing Dyson's big data platform running on GCP. You will ingest new data sources, write data pipelines as code, and transform, enrich and publish data using the most efficient methods.
Working with data from across Dyson’s global data estate, you will understand the best way to serve up data at scale to a global audience of analysts. You will work closely with data architects, data scientists and data product managers on the team to ensure that we are building an integrated, performant solutions.
Ideally you will have a Software Engineering mind-set, be able to leverage CI/CD and apply critical thinking to the work you undertake. The role would suit candidates looking to make the move from working with traditional big data stacks such as Spark and Hadoop to using cloud native technologies (DataFlow, Big Query, Docker/Kubernetes, Pub/Sub, Redshift, Cloud Functions). Candidates who also have strong software development skills and wishing to make the leap to working with Data at scale will also be considered.
- Designing and building end to end Data Engineering solutions on the Google Cloud Platform
- Being a proactive member of DevOps / Agile scrum driven team; always looking for ways to tune and optimize all aspects of work delivered on the platform
- Aligning work to both core development standards and architectural principles
- Strong programming skills in languages such as Python/Java/Scala including building, testing and releasing code into production
- Strong SQL skills and experience working with relational/columnar databases (e.g. SQLServer, Postgres, Oracle, Presto, Hive, BigQuery etc…)
- Knowledge of data modelling techniques and integration patterns
- Practical experience writing data analytic pipelines
- Experience integrating/interfacing with REST APIs / Web Services
- Experience handling data securely
- Experience with DevOps software delivery and CI/CD processes
- A willingness to learn and find solutions to complex problems
- Resilient and comfortable with high pace change.
- Experience migrating from on-premise data stores to cloud solutions
- Experience of designing and building real/near real time solutions using streaming technologies (e.g. Dataflow/Apache Beam, Fink, Spark Streaming etc)
- Hands-on experience with cloud environments (GCP & AWS preferred)
- Practical experience with traditional Big Data stacks (e.g Spark, Flink, Hbase, Flume, Impala, Hive etc)
- Experience with non-relational database solutions (e.g. Big Query, Big Table, MongoDB, Dynamo, HBase, Elasticsearch)
- Experience with AWS data pipeline, Azure data factory or Google Cloud Dataflow
- Working with containerization technologies (Docker, Kubernetes etc…)
- Experience working with data warehouse solutions including extracting and processing data using a variety of programming languages, tools and techniques (e.g. SSIS, Azure Data Factory, T-SQL, PL-SQL, Talend, Matillion, Nifi, AWS Data Pipelines)
BenefitsAt Dyson, how we reward you is linked to our high-performance culture. But it’s about more than salary and bonus. Through a package of financial, lifestyle and health benefits, we support whatever stage of life you’re in and the moments that matter.
- 401K with up to a 4% match
- Company paid Life Insurance and AD&D
- Flexible Savings Account (FSA) and Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Competitive Paid Time Off Benefits including Separate Holiday, Sick, and Vacation Time
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefits (applicable areas only)
- Generous Child Care Leave Program
- Wellness Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Generous Dyson Product Discounts
- Multi-Level Healthcare Coverage Options
- Vision & Dental Coverage
- Company paid Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
Dyson is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live. If requested, we will provide reasonable accommodation during the recruitment process for persons with disabilities. Contact us at email@example.com for more information. Dyson is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.