- Data Science and Engineering
- Singapore - Technology Centre
We are looking for a highly motivated and detail-oriented Data Scientist to drive and help shape the data science capabilities at Dyson.
As a member of the CITO team, you'll work closely with internal teams to evaluate complex data, analyse data from multiple angles, train and deploy machine learning models, create impactful visualizations, and deliver findings that directly impact the business. Moreover, you'll have the chance to impact how Dyson best executes data science globally, by supporting local data science teams with technical excellence guidance and acceleration.
About the Role
- You will be a Data Scientist reporting directly to the Global Head of Data Science within IT.
- You will be a technical pioneer, not only driving and delivering diverse, impactful data science projects across the organisation, but also offering consultancy to established data science teams, being a sparring partner to them, and supplementing their use case approaches with cutting edge techniques.
- You will build predictive models using the myriad data sources available at Dyson, and enriching these with the creative sourcing of external data.
- You will apply logical thinking and statistical learning techniques to obtain robust results the business can rely on for critical decisions.
- You will help respond to complex business questions beyond what business intelligence teams are capable of today.
- You will engage with the business to shape and refine their questions.
- You will work with experts in the CITO to get advice and support on accessing data and productionising your models.
- Cutting edge approaches are key to keeping pace with Dyson’s innovative culture: you will be expected to stay abreast of industry trends and emerging technologies and methodologies.
Person Specification / Core Competencies
- A drive and know-how to deliver tangible business value through data science models.
- Proven track record in landing value-driving models in a production environment.
- Scientific approach to solve practical problems using logical thinking.
- Hands-on experience with leveraging data from a wide selection of data sources from different technologies e.g. SQL, BigQuery etc.
- A keen understanding of data models and ETL processes. Using primarily Python and supplementing this with Tableau or Looker where necessary, you are able to analyse, model, and visualise data effectively. Ideally you will have an Bachelor of Science qualification in a relevant field (e.g. Statistics, Mathematics), or similar hands-on experience.
- Passion to understand the business, frame problems, and deliver practical solutions in short timeframes.
- Ability to interact and collaborate with Data Engineers, Data Architects and Data Product Managers.
- Self-driven individual with drive to solve customer problems. Team player and good communicator - capable of building engaging narratives from data.
- Good presentation and communication skills, with the ability to explain complex analytical concepts to business audiences of varying data literacy levels.
- A keen interest in mentoring less experienced members of the Data Science Centre of Excellence.
Essential Key Qualifications
- A degree in Statistics/Data Science/ML/Business Analytics or a science/engineering degree with a keen interest in statistics.
- PhDs are valued, but innovation and excellence are essential.
- Strong understanding of statistical modelling. Working experience of using advanced machine learning techniques to solve business challenges.
- Strong Python skills with a focus on statistical and ML packages; e.g. Scikit-Learn, Tensorflow, Keras, PyTorch, XGBoost, NumPy, SciPy.
- Working experience with cloud-based platforms. Comfortable querying modern cloud databases (e.g. BigQuery, Snowflake, Redshift).
- Successful use of software engineering best practices, including version control, unit testing and working with Agile delivery principles.
- Proven track-record of using a rigorous, scientific approach to model building, testing and validation.
- Experience in data cleansing and blending (internally and externally) to drive richer insights.
- Knowledge of how to build enterprise data science products in cloud environments.
- Docker experience.
- 3+ years of practical machine learning use cases in particular industrial applications.
- 3+ years of programming experience in Python.
- 3+ years of programming experience using machine learning frameworks like SciKit-Learn, Tensorflow, Pytorch or Keras.
- 2+ years of hands-on experience in Google / AWS cloud platform
- Experience productionising data science models that deliver demonstrable business value.
- Exposure to MLOps practices.
- Familiar with Linux/Unix and shell scripting.
- Knowledge of object oriented programming concepts and their application to data science pipelines.
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.