- Design and Development
- Malaysia - Development Centre
Dyson began twenty one years ago with James Dyson and a handful of engineers questioning everyday products, thinking differently and making them better. We are now the world's number one vacuum cleaner manufacturer in the UK, US, Japan, Europe and Australasia.
About the role
Current EC drive team will be supporting incoming projects including x664, x761, x746 and across assemblies. The objective of this engineering contract is primarily to support the Technical Assembly team in the analysis that supports the diagnostic design, with emphasis in the areas of mechanical, acoustic and statistical analysis. Our Engineers are part of a global team that develop technology from research concept stage through to production.
- Be part of the research, design and development of Dyson new products from the evaluation of new technologies (drives mechanism) till the implementation of the final product.
- Work closely with others design engineers by collaborated in the research, design and development of drives mechanism including plastic design know-how.
- Must be highly motivated and able to demonstrate either academic and creative excellence in mechanical or product design environment.
- Produce mechanical designs for powertrains to meet product specifications and processes incorporating low cost, high volume manufacturing techniques.
- Responsible for the 3D CAD, design requirements, drawing of mechanical components from concept through to design frozen and complete.
- Liaise with the suppliers of motor and drive components to develop tailored designs to gain technical advantage in new products.
- Use hand calculations to validate designs through the development process backed up with lab-based testing / characterisation / validation.
- Take an active, hands-on role to ensure that all engineering problems are resolved thoroughly.
- Analyse test results, summarise and communicate these through colleagues both technical and non-technical.
- Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve design quality.
- Ability to set a clear level 3 planning on the part/assembly key accountability to meet project time plan (i.e. defining plans, monitoring progress and reporting to management on the technical risks).
Key Skills / Experience required
- Candidate must possess at least a bachelor’s degree, Post Graduate Diploma or Professional Degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Electro-Mechanical or Mechatronics).
- Must have in-depth knowledge/work experience in at least one of the mechanical power transmission field. (power transmission knowledge, gears, clutches motors, control and sensors, vibration and acoustic)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Good interpersonal and project handling skills.
- Proactive, self-starter and able to work independently.
- Basic understanding in material selection in plastic, steel and rubber.
- Knowledge of plastic gearing design and influences on rotating/movement components and mechanism.
- Ability to trouble shooting and problem solving (Root Cause Analysis).
- Ability to applied 3D CAD and engineering drawings for mechanical and assemblies.
- Knowledge of statistical techniques and ability to interpret testing/results data. Black Belt certified is advantages.
Additional Skills Advantages
- Familiar with software design, implementation, testing and integration in the embedded, app and server domains.
- Ability to data preparation, data cleaning, data analysis, and modelling of complex consumer products during early development.
- Algorithm selection, optimization, and calibration with ability to verifying & validating solutions against requirements.
- Familiarity of low-level embedded microcontroller-based control and operation of various motors (e.g. stepper motor, switch reluctance motor) and the topology of the motor drive hardware system to allow creativity in the implementation of motor control schemes.
- Basic knowledge of the power electronics circuitry and how different control can influence power device performance.
- Strong skill in Arduino and C/C++.
- Ability to code in Python language and perform real-time SW debugging is a huge advantage.
Dyson Malaysia monitors the market to ensure we offer competitive salaries, management bonuses and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy generous leave and medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a career at Dyson. Leadership support and new opportunities abound, driven by regular dialogue and international training. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to progress, innovation and realising ambition.
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.