- United States - Chicago Office
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people. Dyson launched in the US in 2002, and since then operations have grown exponentially. Our US headquarters is based in Chicago's Fulton Market neighborhood. We also have employees working in field sales, our service centers, and in our growing number of Dyson Demo Store’s across the country.
About the role:
This person will lead the Americas Innovation and Business Development pillar on the Americas Business Development & Transformation team (BDT).
Team Purpose: We aim to develop new business models, services and experiences that enhance how owners and future owners interact with Dyson products and technology. We take a human centered design approach – bringing together research, design and business strategy to learn, test and develop these new experiences and service models first in small targeted test pilots then later at scale. Delivering value for our owners and the organization.
The How: We design new business models that deliver best in class experiences to our owners and create more compelling reasons to engage and consider Dyson. We develop and scale a culture of insights, rapid prototyping along with exceptional executional competency leading to full-scale commercialization. We bring together research, design and business to innovate and pioneer on the Americas.
Who You Are: A senior executive who can lead various domains of innovation and design thinking - concept development, feasibility and viability analysis with passion to bring to life significant growth ideas that shape the future our business. Overall, you will lead cross-disciplinary teams to combine deep customer and market insights with business goals to design, prototype, and launch ‘what’s next’.
Main accountabilities and supporting activities-
Identify opportunity spaces
- Leverage all internal and external resources to develop an insights-driven process to outline opportunity spaces that act as North Star for future innovation efforts. Scan market trends, source ideas internally and externally and evaluate implications for Dyson and our consumers.
- Scope of this project is end to end – from engineering to supply chain to sales and marketing functions. Opportunity spaces should cover end to end overview of design and implications.
Prioritization and management of an innovation pipeline
- This role is responsible for building an active pipeline of innovation efforts by collaborating with key stakeholders across the organization to deliver a consistent growth. Actively manage prioritization based on Dyson strategy, macro and micro trends, as well as consumer behavior shifts.
Viability and feasibility
- While the innovation in business models needs to be rooted in customer insights, it also needs to address key uncertainties to ensure it delivers sustainable commercial growth for the business and is executable within the next 2-3 years.
Validation through prototyping
- Develop a build, test and refine process at different levels of fidelity based on requirements and stage of the innovation. Lead the organizations ability to iterate/pivot, fail fast based on prototype results. Instill the culture of bringing in the consumer at all stages of innovation, from upfront research to evaluative prototypes and pilots. A priority is end user ethnographic research so that our future strategies and business models are designed with our consumers at the center of it.
Influencing and collaboration across global
- This role needs to collaborate extensively with local, regional and global stakeholders to leverage functional expertise, gather feedback and share learnings on a periodic basis. Functional areas like research, analytics, ecommerce, supply chain, engineering need to be pulled in as needed into virtual teams to drive the innovation agenda and progress on key projects.
Full scale commercialization
- Develop the business requirements across all major functions to build and deliver the innovation. Bootstrap the innovation to prove growth potential and scale globally, as relevant. This includes resources, technology, and product and supply chain along with go-to-market elements.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or related field required.
- 10+ years of relevant experience including proven record of bringing innovations to market.
- Strong understanding of all major functions in the organization and how they come together to deliver an end-to-end innovation
- Prior experience in a high growth direct to consumer or ecommerce or retail business required
- This position requires strong innovation experience
- Ability to understand the Dyson brand and uphold its integrity.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Drive projects from concept through implementation and to analyze post-campaign results.
- Must have excellent project management skills to coordinate both internal and external resource in a cross-functional organization.
- Project brief writing skills.
- Advanced knowledge/ proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook required
- An innovative thinker with a proven track record of converting wrong thinking into growth opportunities
- Self-starter, highly developed ability to receive and give feedback as well as to set priorities.
- Objective, enthusiastic, committed, flexible.
- A visionary who is always looking to learn
- Proactive – always looking for ways to improve.
- Team player, and strong team leader
- Ability to travel up to 25%.
- Personable, ability to work well with a variety of different personality types and skill sets.
At Dyson, how we reward you is linked to our high-performance culture. But it’s about more than salary and bonus. Through a package of financial, lifestyle and health benefits, we support whatever stage of life you’re in and the moments that matter.
- 401K with up to a 4% match
- Company paid Life Insurance and AD&D
- Flexible Savings Account (FSA) and Health Savings Account (HSA)
- Competitive Paid Time Off Benefits including Separate Holiday, Sick, and Vacation Time
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefits (applicable areas only)
- Generous Child Care Leave Program
- Wellness Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Generous Dyson Product Discounts
- Multi-Level Healthcare Coverage Options
- Vision & Dental Coverage
- Company paid Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.