- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Bristol Office
We're the New Product Innovation Software Team (NST) and we're responsible for ensuring the next generation of both connected and non-connected products and technologies are properly explored, tested and refined in readiness to transition to the team responsible for delivering our novel solutions.
This includes ensuring we investigate and utilise the right technologies, techniques, services and security. Core to this is exploring the technology and UX by developing proof of concept integrations and systems.
About the role
We're open to receiving applications from Embedded Engineers of all-levels as we scale our team across 2023. As a member of NST, the Embedded Engineer will use their expertise and passion for technology to work with a multi-disciplinary team of engineers researching, developing and prototyping the next generation of IoT solutions at Dyson.
You will be working in a global, multi-disciplinary team including mobile and cloud developers, app and product UX/UI designers and electronics and mechanical engineers.
You will be designing and developing our future products, often collaborating with experts from different areas of RDD (Research, Design & Development). You must be independent and methodical with excellent problem-solving skills.
It is essential to be knowledgeable about the latest trends in embedded systems, connectivity and mobile technology and be comfortable with rapidly picking up new technologies. You'll have a genuine thirst to overcome problems and limitations in order to reach our vision is absolutely essential.
You should be comfortable with rapid prototyping of electronic hardware, investigating and evaluating new and emerging technologies, protocols and digital platforms. You should be able to produce clear and concise reports and presentations communicating your research and demonstrating your solutions.
- Excellent programming skills preferably with experience in C / C++ / Python / Go, with an appreciation for writing reusable code and experienced with version control.
- Flexible and dynamic approach to development, with the ability to adopt new concepts, languages and techniques quickly and then convey the benefits to others.
- Understanding of embedded systems design and integration.
- Embedded experience working with different microcontrollers and platforms (e.g. ARM, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, Linux and RTOS environments).
- Good software and rapid prototyping experience.
- Knowledge of IoT technologies and protocols (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth Low Energy, Thread, MQTT, Smart Home etc).
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas simply.
- Good understanding and experience of application development practices.
- Electronic circuit design experience including schematic design and PCB layout.
- Familiarity with sensing subsytems and associated protocols such as I2C, SPI, UART, etc.
- Experience with Docker and BalenaOS.
- Familiarity with embedded UI platforms, e.g. Crank, QT and LVGL.
- Experience with embedded Linux including Yocto.
- Track record of working with 3rd parties to explore technology.
- Proven track record of developing robust requirements specifications.
- Experience with board ‘bring-up’.
- Experience of developing proof-of-concept embedded prototypes to an accelerated timescale.
- Experience of integrating solutions with cloud and web services for data interchange and synchronisation.
- Programming for resource constrained devices.
- Experience working in an Agile environment.
- Strong communication skills.
- Able to take accountability for deliverables and focus on achieving them in a timely manner to the highest quality standards.
- Customer focused and keen on exceeding expectations.
- Self-motivated, dynamic and results-driven.
- Professional approach when involved in a challenging situation.
- Ability to influence and communicate with stakeholders across the organisation.
- Ability to work across boundaries and bring together a wider number of disparate elements in a cohesive way to enable a vision.
- Strong planning & time management skills.
- Ability to prioritise and manage workload (both your own and others).
- Sensitive to cultural differences across a global company.
- Ability to be flexible as part of a growing team in a large company.
- Performance related bonus
- Company paid Life Assurance
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Competitive pension scheme
- Purchase additional holidays
- 27 days holiday plus statutory bank holidays
- Free bus travel to and from Malmesbury campus from Bristol, Chippenham and Swindon
- Endless free coffee and tea, and a free lunch
- On-site lifestyle Assist
- Electric vehicle scheme
- Private Medical insurance for all employees
- Employee Assistance Program for employee and dependents
- Digital GP and prescription service
- Fertility treatment support
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.