- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Hullavington Office
At Dyson software is key to the products that we develop. We are rapidly growing our embedded software department and have a range of opportunities, at all levels, for Embedded Software and Firmware Engineers.
We want to build high performing teams that reflect a broad range of experience and abilities that give opportunity for growth and informal mentoring. From 1 year to several decades of expertise, to those wanting to have hands on leadership of a team of engineers - we have opportunities at each stage of your career at both of our locations in Malmesbury and Hullavington.
If you have used a Dyson product, you will have experienced software that has been produced by us. We developed the user interface for the latest V15 cordless vacuum cleaner and the Corrale hair straightener. We wrote the software running on the Dyson Pure Hot + Cool and the Dyson Lightcycle. We built the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Low Energy solution to make our products part of the Internet of Things.
Dyson is ambitiously evolving and expanding its product lines, which challenges us to develop exciting solutions and engage with new technologies which we can’t reveal just yet.
About the role
Software teams at Dyson are highly collaborative and have strong autonomy. As an embedded software engineer, you will be involved with collaborative planning within your team – ensuring the goals your team commit to each sprint are realistic. As you work with your team to deliver those commitments, you will be designing and developing innovative solutions to meet the product needs. You will then verify those solutions using on and off target automated unit and integration testing techniques. Teams also work to maintain and improve their continuous integration pipelines. The solutions that you have developed and verified are then peer reviewed within your team to ensure we maintain the quality of our code base and deliver what was agreed.
To succeed in our teams, you will be someone who desires to work collaboratively to create high quality, robust code to solve diverse real-world problems. You must be fluent in C and be comfortable in the whole product life cycle, including design, implementation, deployment, testing and debugging of application code.
Our teams are committed to continuous improvement, through retrospectives and by engineers engaging in communities of practice that cut across the teams to focus on improving our software engineering practices. There is also regular opportunity to explore and experiment with new ideas during our innovation sprints.
- Use of C and Python
- Low level debugging experience
- Version control (preferably git)
- Scrum Agile experience
- Automated Testing
- Software Design
- Continuous integration and continuous delivery – we use Linux, Docker and Python based scripts and tools
- Experience of communications protocols such as WiFi and Bluetooth Low Energy Real Time OS
- Experience of interfaces such as UART, I2C and SPI
- Training opportunities (In house and External)
- A good work-life balance (we work hard whilst we are here, but we don’t typically work late nights or weekends)
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays. There is an option to purchase extra holiday entitlement.
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Cafés and restaurants serving free drinks and meals. Up to 20 days of backup care (both child and adult care)
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Private Dental and Medical insurance
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.