- The Dyson Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
The Dyson Institute is the first provider in the UK to receive new degree awarding powers. In September 2021, it will enrol its first cohort of Dyson Institute. At the same time, it will continue to support and enhance the experience of the four cohorts of Dyson Institute students registered at and enrolled with Warwick Manufacturing Group, the University of Warwick. The Dyson Institute’s mission is to build challenging and enriching educational experiences which are free, student-centric and aligned with the needs of industry.
The Dyson Institute’s Academic Board is its academic authority. Operating on delegated authority from Council, its role is to safeguard the standards of Dyson Institute awards and ensure that students receive a high quality academic experience whilst studying at the Institute.
The Academic Board oversees the Institute's academic management, including the curriculum and all aspects of quality and standards associated with the Institute as a degree-awarding body. It has the power to make regulations and policies. Meetings of the Academic Board concentrate on major issues of academic strategy, policy, priority and performance. As a provider specialising in degree apprenticeships, and which integrates professional development into its academic qualifications, the role of Academic Board is to consider and assure quality and standards in relation to teaching and learning, workplace experience and professional development.
About the roleIndividuals applying for the position of Academic Board member should be passionate about The Dyson Institute’s vision, aims and objectives, as well as about the assurance of quality and standards. Experience supporting a small or niche higher education provider would be highly desirable, as would experience in supporting a provider to undertake a degree awarding powers review.
Academic Board appointments are usually made for a duration of four years, after which the individual may be appointed for one further term of four years. Availability to prepare for and attend Academic Board meetings, usually four per year, is essential. Attendance at a small number of additional meetings, for example to review and approve policies or to attend development or training sessions, may be requested.
- Role one: Academic Board member | An experienced academic from a UK HE provider, with expert knowledge of degree apprenticeships
- Role two: Academic Board member | An expert in professional development of students, from a UK HE provider
About youApplicants for both roles should:
- Understand good governance in a higher education context
- Understand academic quality and standards
- Have experience working with industrial partners
- Have experience within the academic governance structure of a higher education provider
- Have experience of reviewing and approving academic policies and regulation
- Have experience in reviewing annual reports on institutional performance
Role one | Academic Board member:
- An experienced academic from a UK HE provider, with expert knowledge of degree apprenticeships
- Specific knowledge of degree apprenticeships, including embedding and monitoring of knowledge, skills and behaviours
- An understanding of ESFA reporting requirements and other regulation associated with degree apprenticeship programmes
Role two | Academic Board member:
- An expert in professional development of students, from a UK HE provider
- Specific knowledge of professional development of students in a HE context
- Specific knowledge of employability, and embedding employability, in a HE context
BenefitsAcademic Board positions are unremunerated, however, The Dyson Institute will pay reasonable expenses incurred whilst undertaking Dyson Institute business.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.