- Competitive compensation
- Chicago, IL, Chicago - USA
By 2020, Dyson will have added new product categories and over 100 products to our portfolio – taking us far beyond the vacuums that started the company more than 20 years ago. What remains the same is our innovative culture, entrepreneurial spirit, and focus on wrong thinking that makes us who we are. At Dyson, we never stop transforming – our technologies and ourselves. And we’re looking for emerging leaders across our functions that are eager to learn by doing – not by watching.
Dyson’s Summer Internship Program is a chance for rising seniors and graduate students (those completing their programs in 2020) at accredited US colleges and universities to join what Fast Company has called one of The Most Innovative Companies in the World. Our internships are different - it’s one of the reasons we were ranked one of the Top 100 Internship Programs in the Country in 2017 – and you will have the opportunity to show your skills and make contributions that impact our owners, our people and our global business.
Dyson’s Finance team is looking for dynamic, detail-oriented and analytical interns to join our team this summer in our US Headquarters in Chicago. The team owns the Americas market P&L’s and forecasts, while delivering data, analysis, and insights to support and enable commercial business decision making. Interns are placed across our financial planning & analysis, and sales finance teams, giving you a unique position to learn the business, challenge your analytical skills, and partner with key stakeholders to help drive Dyson forward. You’ll need to be quick on your feet and able to pivot your priorities and focus - in an organization that doesn’t stand still, the team’s work is a growing challenge of ever-evolving numbers.What to expect from Dyson’s Summer Internship Program:
- We believe people should be paid for their work. Interns are no exception - these are full-time, paid internships including a housing stipend to spend the summer in Chicago if you are from outside of the Chicagoland area.
- The program will run for approximately 10-12 weeks (May/June - August 2020), and flexible based on academic calendars)
- Lunch and learns from Dyson leaders on our business, our strategy, and more!
- Special intern-only outings and trainings
- Leadership opportunities
- A brand-new US Headquarters office in Chicago, IL
- Feedback from your manager, both during the program, and a summer-end recap to make sure you get the most of your time at Dyson
Dyson moves fast and no two days will be the same. Here are some highlights you can expect of your internship:
- Inside Dyson onboarding – learning the fundamentals of our products, people and strategy.
- Team immersion – shadow, learn and support the day-to-day of your function while making real contributions, learning new skills, and challenging you to begin driving your internship.
- The brief: intro to your mission – work side-by-side with team members or other interns on large-scale projects or be assigned a functional project to lead yourself from beginning to end.
- Learning challenges – you will be expected to drive real projects forward and find new ways to contribute and grow as a leader. Through leadership trainings, skills challenges and day-to-day learning, you’ll grow by doing.
- Solving problems others ignore – participate in design thinking workshops with the James Dyson Foundation and lead initiatives in our communities to help inspire the next generation of engineers.
- New ventures: Our internship program will challenge you and prepare you for whatever your next career move brings. We’re looking for the best of the best, and top talent may end their summer with an offer for an Early Career role at Dyson, depending on your performance and the business need. An Early Career role gives you the chance to grow, learn, and contribute to Americas critical projects with global influence after graduation.
- Free unlimited cold-brew
- In-office Barista Bar
- Casual dress
- Intern outings
AccountabilitiesYou won’t just be an intern, you’ll be a key member of the Dyson team. You can expect to be tasked with project(s) that capitalize on your existing skills and stretch you out of your comfort zone. Your daily responsibilities will differ depending on the team you are on and the variety of business-critical projects means that no two roles will be alike, but you could expect some of the following responsibilities:
- Support the day-to-day Finance responsibilities of the Americas market, working with Senior Financial Analysts and Finance leadership
- Contribute to monthly gross margin analysis, including analyzing trends and providing monthly statements of customer profitability
- Assist in providing accurate, relevant and reliable month end figures for each cost center including customer service, logistics, sales, marketing, finance & IT
- Prepare retailer business tools after forecast submission, and update files with actuals monthly
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders in marketing and sales functions
- Contribute to preparation of various performance analysis
- Assess risks and opportunities for the broader business
- Contribute to a multitude of projects that emerge in a fast-paced environment
- Become an expert in Dyson products and the way we portray our brand
- Work with fellow interns and US Leadership Team on cross-functional project, presented to key stakeholders throughout the program
- Rising undergraduate senior or graduate student (expected to graduate in Spring 2021)
- Some business knowledge through coursework and/or other internship experiences
- Willing to relocate to Chicago
- Advanced proficiency with MS Excel
- Ability to analyze and translate data-based findings into clear, relevant and actionable insights, or have a deep desire to further develop these skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Proven ability to work autonomously and drive projects forward
- Experience working in cross-functional teams
- Detail oriented with excellent oral and written skills; the ability to interface effectively with key stakeholders at every level of the business
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Curiosity and a deep desire to learn
- Process-oriented thinker
- Pursuing business or finance degree
- Experience with SAP