- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
Established in 2013, Weybourne is the family office for the Dyson Family. Weybourne manages, investments and provides financial and other professional support to the Family, their estates, and business interests. The latter covers a wide range of sectors, including farming, aviation, financial investments, commercial and residential property, music, and several others. We currently have a team of around 65 employees, whose roles cover accountancy, financial control, tax and treasury, property and investment management, security, risk, and HR based in the both the UK and Singapore.
Our employees are offered a competitive reward package and the opportunity to work in a challenging and diverse environment. We’re really passionate about learning and have a strong focus on development through external courses, progression opportunities and cross skilling. We are proud of our well being offering and comprehensive employee engagement strategy.
The Finance Department are currently looking for an experienced Financial Controller to join the Finance team. You will work with the rest of the team to achieve the highest standards of accounting and financial support with specific responsibility for Weybourne Limited and other Family Office entities as required. The role is supported by the Senior Family Office Accountant, Systems Accountant, and AP and Payments Supervisor.
Reporting to the Finance Director , this role is responsible for managing the finance system and all core accounting activities for Weybourne Ltd and other entities as directed, as well as providing the financial control framework and policies, guidance, and core functions such as accounts payable for all family office activities.
The role is supported by three team members of whom one performs core accounting activities i.e. bookkeeping, management accounting and reporting and associated administrative activities, whilst the other looks after the accounts payable function for a wide ranging and diverse set of family-owned entities and family members. The third team member supports the finance system used by all Family Office entities.
How we work
With an eye on the future, we work with a strong collective purpose to offer considered and practical advice to the family and their businesses. Acting in the family’s best interest is, always, our primary focus. We are agile and nimble; we solve problems. Embracing a challenge is part of everyday life at Weybourne, and we are always up for a challenge! Innovation, courage of convictions and the drive to push new ideas through are qualities essential across all our team.
Where we are
We are based in Malmesbury and our site includes a sports centre and gym, coffee bars, cafés, and free parking.
About the roleMain Duties/Responsibilities
- Manage a team of 3 with direct line management responsibility for the Senior Accountant and the Systems Accountant to achieve the following key objectives to agreed deadlines:
- Production of monthly management accounts, including commentary and analysis against budget and other reports as required.
- Review of other entity management accounts and information as required.
- Quarterly VAT returns.
- Preparation of annual budgets and monthly cash and P&L forecasts in support of the business managers.
- Liaison with auditors, close out of year-end activities and production of relevant entity statutory accounts.
- Liaison with solicitors, ensuring all statutory returns and filings are made timely and accurately.
- Responsible for promoting and advocating financial control across Weybourne Group. Produce, maintain and monitor compliance of financial control policies and processes for Weybourne Group.
- Oversee and maintain strong financial controls across the family office including monthly reconciliations, segregation of activities, payment, and banking controls etc.
- Consider and mitigate financial risks including fraud, financial crime and ensure that risks and controls are documented in the risk management system.
- Ensure the maintenance of strong, efficient accounts payable processes for the family office.
- Work with the CFO, FD and Head of Risk and Audit to support the company’s governance structure and compliance monitoring.
- Support the outsourced payroll process (with Dyson), ensuring accuracy of information provided and best practice controls on the payment process.
- Oversee the recharge process for central family office costs to entities, including a regular review of rates and charges with the Head of Tax, FD, and business managers.
- Continually review all financial control systems and propose and implement changes as necessary to enhance control and efficiency.
- Work across Weybourne Group to enhance reporting processes and formats.
- Work with the Finance Systems Accountant and the Finance Systems team to improve theuser experience and to explore and develop improvements to the system and its output. Ensure that appropriate controls are embedded, and review mechanisms are in pl ace.
- Support the tax department to ensure reporting is as efficient as possible for tax reporting purposes.
- Support financial training needs for both finance and non-finance employees.
- Managing your team’s workload - planning aims, objectives and priorities.
- Managing your team’s time – assigning and delegating work appropriately.
- Ensuring you and your team abide by the company’s policies and procedures and conduct themselves in line with the Weybourne Values; Loyalty, Flexibility, Integrity, Initiative and Courage.
- Holding regular one-to-ones with/providing coaching and feedback to your direct reports.
- Conducting performance appraisals twice yearly with your direct reports, invoking performance management strategies where applicable.
- Developing an d maintaining positive working relationships across the company and other family office entities.
- Commitment to developing yourself within your role – undergoing training where necessary.
- Proactively promoting and maintaining a high st andard of work – tak ing initiative to resolve and/or draw attention to areas that do not meet required standards or any issuesthat arise
- Conducting yourself in line with the Weybourne Values.
- Any other ad hoc duties.
- Qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA or CIMA).
- Good educational background - degree level preferable
- Significant financial control experience essential with prior experience in a Financial Controller role desirable.
- Experience of statutory audit & reporting very desirable.
- Excellent communication skills and an effective team player.
- Excellent organisational and prioritisation skills and dedication to achieving deadlines.
- Diligent, thorough, and excellent attention to detail with high levels of integrity and confidentiality.
- Ability to deal with confidential and sensitive matters in a professional manner.
- Flexible and willingness to work in a less structured, fast-moving environment.
- Confident problem solver who will seek innovative solutions when needed.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Performance related bonus
- Pension scheme
- Life assurance
- Private medical insurance
- Private dental insurance
- Employee Assistance Programme – EAP
- Eyecare scheme
- Discounts on Dyson machines
- Sports centre
- Free on-site parking
- Lift share scheme
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Subsidised café and restaurants
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.