- Customer Service and Inside Sales
- China - Shanghai Office
This is a critical role for Dyson in China that champions the company’s high-profile government affairs (central, Shanghai and local district) agenda that covers public policy, issues management, and long-term stakeholder engagement. The Director/ Head of Government Affairs, China, reports directly to Director, Communications and Government Affairs, Greater China, and closely collaborates with the Greater China Leadership team, Retail Sales, Legal and CSI (claims, standards and insights) teams to explore and build reputation-building partnerships with key targeted Government agencies. With an eye to the future, the positions requires proven experience, and track record, in managing complex governmental issues, careful and thoughtful management of the business’ reputation through ownership of key external stakeholders - from government officials to industry regulators, key trade associations and advocacy groups. The role is based in Shanghai.
About the role
Build strong working partnership with local Shanghai district Government to maximise Dyson’s interests.
Develop and execute an integrated government affairs strategy that supports and enables Dyson business ambitions in China while displaying strong ability to identify key stakeholders who are critical allies and partners in shaping and delivering Dyson strategy and reputation at the central and Shanghai level. This includes a tailored approach to engaging and developing win-win partnerships with Shanghai Government agencies (including Commerce Bureau, Administration for Market Regulation and the Economic, Information and Technology Commission), and Central Government authorities (Ministry of Commerce, State Administration for Market Regulation and Ministry of Industry & Information Technology).
Develop sustained and productive engagement programmes with local and central government officials and industry groups like the various AMRs, Consumer Associations (China, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou) to lobby for favourable laws and regulations that can help advance Dyson priorities in the areas of standards, advertising law, IP, and R&D innovation in China.
Work closely with key stakeholders across the business - including members of the Greater China Leadership Team, and Communications team - to shape and communicate Dyson strategy and differentiation to government officials, regulators, and industry groups. Amplify Dyson agenda, narrative and key initiatives on key Government platforms.
Identify relevant legislative and regulatory opportunities that will help the business to understand and anticipate external developments and to take the leadership position to garner internal teams to prepare for them.
Develop and implement a comprehensive and integrated approach to managing issues related to legislative and regulatory matters and sustainability, as well as effective crisis management to protect the reputation of Dyson in China.
Work with Legal and CSI teams to influence the regulatory authorities and lobby the Chinese government in support of Dyson’s major initiatives.
Be a champion of Dyson culture, while developing and retaining key talents in China.
Skills and experiences required:
- Extensive understanding of the China political system and proven track record of delivering best-in-class Government Affairs programs within an MNC.
- Deep knowledge of the technology and/or retail system and related regulatory policies, including extensive contacts and good relationships with key policy decision makers.
- Highly self-motivated and proactive with the mindset of making each engagement, and Government Affairs program, different and even more pioneering versus the last.
- Adept diplomatic skills with demonstrated capability to manage potential geopolitical challenges.
- Ability to write policy papers in English and Chinese.
- Dealing with crisis related short deadlines and working in high pressure situations to drive outcomes in the best interest of the company.
- Strong leadership skills in terms of people management, ability to influence people and work with top management in a fast-changing market.
- Demonstrated ability to build a strong team culture and to coach, develop and performance manage a team in a global matrixed organization.
- Required Education and competencies:
- Degree or above.
- 15 years as a Government Affairs professional with no less than 10 years’ experience with an MNC Affairs in the technology, retail, or related industry in China.
- Proven ability to develop trust-based relationships with government officials.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (English and Chinese), both written and verbal.
- Excellent negotiation, facilitation and influencing skills.
- Strong capability in managing changing business environment and ambiguity.
At Dyson, it's about more than our machines. We recognise that our success comes from our inventive people. We believe in including everybody and supporting you on your journey with us
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.