- Research Engineering
- Malmesbury - United Kingdom
About the roleDyson offers a unique opportunity for a talented and experienced electrical motors expert to become the Head of Research in the Technical Research Team, part of the wider Dyson Research Department based in Malmesbury, Wiltshire, U.K.
The team have been pioneers in the industry with very high speed / high power density compressor motors that are highly efficient, cost-effective and robust for more than 15 years. These motors are conceived in the UK and are manufactured at Dyson’s state-of-the-art facilities in Singapore and Philippines. The team has ambitious growth plans in 2021 in order to deliver an expanding range of high performance motors into Dyson’s existing and future product categories within the next few years.
We are looking for a senior technical leader who wish to invent, design and develop industry leading high performance motors for high volume production. This is an opportunity to work alongside other technical senior leaders and significantly contribute to the creation of enabling technologies for a variety of next generation Dyson products and fulfil our ambition of being truly authentic, different, better and faster than the competition. Successful candidate will report to Motors and Power Systems Research Director and directly lead a multi-disciplinary, highly motivated and diverse team of 30+ engineers and technicians.
Core responsibilities include:
- Stretch the boundaries of speed, power density, efficiency and robustness / reliability in electric motor systems (with and without compressors) in a variety of applications.
- Meet target specifications such as cost, size, weight and efficiency within the planned timeline of each research project.
- Lead, plan and manage resources across multiple highly ambitious and complex projects that run simultaneously.
- Have the ability to understand the overall product concept and contribute significantly to the design of the product with expert knowledge of the latest technologies / methods in the industry.
- Have the ability to assess and handle supplier relationships with technical and commercial negotiations, maintaining confidence in BOM and assembly costs throughout a project.
- Lead the team to generate innovative novel solutions with strong & high value IP for Dyson products.
- Identify skills or knowledge gaps within the team and lead the recruitment activities as required.
- Coach and mentor team members
- Manage motors and associated technology roadmaps
- Manage external research activities.
About youEssential Behavioural Skills:
At Dyson, we have a high-performance culture – it is about achieving results in the right way. How you do things is equally important to What you achieve in your role. We strive to create a meaningful place to work where everyone gives their best and is continuously learning and improving. Essential behavioural skills required for the role are:
- Absolute dedication to delivering complex projects on time, specification and cost
- Drive for engineering excellence alongside strong commercial & IP awareness
- Uphold the core expectations of our company; Transparency, Loyalty, Fairness and Independence, to the highest standard
- Excellent analytical ability and thorough approach to reasoning and problem solving
- Ability to learn quickly and influence others; direct team members, peers and senior management
- Challenge convention in technical and non-technical matters and have strong desire to be a pioneer
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively the results and project status using a variety of platforms to a broad spectrum of individuals.
- PhD qualified with a BEng/MEng degree from a relevant engineering degree programme with a demonstrable level of industrial experience.
- Has a proven record of accomplishments in delivering high performance engineering solutions.
- Demonstrable technical expertise with breadth and depth in at least one of the following engineering disciplines and strong appreciation of the rest
- Electromagnetic motor design and control
- Rotating machinery mechanical design
- Thermal design
- Strong working knowledge of Design for Manufacturing to deliver low cost, high volume, high performance and reliable engineering solutions.
- Experience in a wide range of multi-disciplinary 1D to 3D simulation techniques, platforms, and ability to use these to drive designs.
- Robust understanding of the role of concept specifications, requirements capture, DFMEAs and DVP&R’s in a multi-disciplinary engineering environment.
- Demonstrable systems engineering skills with concurrent cost, mass, size and performance optimisation
- Demonstrable familiarity with T
- Air-borne and structural acoustics
- Materials science
- GD&T dimensional engineering
- Power electronics
- Manufacturing technologies for electric motors and compressors
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.