- Japan - Tokyo Office
Dyson is a global technology enterprise. We solve the problems others choose to ignore, with surprising new inventions that defy convention and simply work better. We’re growing fast and our ambition is huge – more categories, more locations and more people.
About the role
The Head of HR is an integral contributor to the leadership team, working toward the achievement of the strategic plan and driving results through our people. The People function works positively and collaboratively with the leaders of the Japan business to shape and influence business culture and people engagement. The leadership team is an engaged and supportive group who are aligned and genuinely committed to the employee experience.
To support organisation development you will ensure the right roles, capabilities and culture are in place to deliver against our ambitious strategy and develop strategies that grow the contribution and performance of the market.
You will need to be a strong leader, able to act independently and at the same time be part of an APAC Dyson people team. You will support, coach and develop a local team to deliver the challenging agenda. Effective collaboration with HR colleagues regionally/globally and the Centre’s of Expertise (talent acquisition, talent development and reward & operations) is important to your success.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Trusted partner to President Japan and Japan Leadership Team, providing advocacy for the people agenda and support, coach and challenge to deliver a high-performance culture and rigorous people focus.
- Partner with the President and Japan Leadership Team contributing to business discussions, strategic planning and challenge where appropriate.
- Lead your business area on organisational design, workforce planning, succession planning, and capability assessment to drive future scale and growth of the business.
- Ensure the people dimension is fully integrated into the business strategies and plans.
- Ensure strategies are in place to tackle key people risks and challenges over the short and longer term.
- Work closely with your business leaders to spot opportunities for organisational change or transformation which will improve business performance. Take joint responsibility with the business head to plan and deliver the change.
- Drive delivery of an effective organisation that is fit for purpose. Lead strategic expansion initiatives for the functions you partner with.
- Coach, challenge and influence senior leadership to develop the organisational capability required to enable delivery of business strategy; anticipate the changing needs of the business and drive the active management and development of talent.
- Lead and support the delivery of the Japan People Plan
- Lead and support the Dyson global cyclical people activities (performance & reward cycles, talent reviews, talent acquisition planning, organizational design)
- Continue to drive the leadership agenda to best support our leaders to live a high-performance culture & custodians of the Dyson culture that ensures our people experience matches our owner experience.
- Provide advice and guidance that aligns with local legislation, best practice and Dyson culture
- Provide strategic and tactical counsel including managing performance, industrial relations, talent acquisition and issue resolution
- Be an active contributor to wider HR strategy for APAC, understanding the objectives of other HR teams, collaborating with country HR Leaders to ensure consistency with regional requirements and in brokering support for operational issues locally. Share knowledge and best practice. Ensure that everything you do is in line with the overall Dyson HR philosophy.
- Lead the People team in Japan and continue to support individual development plans and career aspirations.
- Act as a creative problem solver. Challenge practices if you believe there are better ways of doing things and inspire others to do the same, fixing things that need fixing, identifying solutions.
- Degree qualification in Human Resources or related field.
- Strong stakeholder management
- Knowledge of HR best practice, employment legislation, systems, policy and procedures, and managing employment relations cases
- Strong leadership and coaching experience
- Working in a fast-paced team environment with high volume activities and changing priorities
- Familiar with a matrix-style management structure
- Experience working at speed, pragmatism and professionalism, ideally in an entrepreneurial culture
- Experience of working in a digital or physical retail business
- Professional demeanour, articulate and well-presented
- Confident, calm and influential within the business
- Able to build strong relationships with all stakeholders
- Self-motivated and able to work autonomously
- Results driven. Tenacious and determined to get things done in the face of ambiguity and even opposition; and inspires others to do the same
- Commercial acumen, understand company financials, resourcing and the strategic aims of the business is important
- Displays diplomacy and empathy with excellent listening skills
- Understands and work well with cultural diversity
- Able to communicate in a succinct and engaging manner in emails, letters, policies and presentations
- Be able to both see the big picture and connect-the-dots
- Can do approach, attention to detail with strong problem
- Organisational skills – personal efficiency, time management skills and the ability to prioritise competing demands are key
- Communication skills, demonstrated emotional intelligence, the ability to build relationships and collaborate with others is vital
- Role modelling, demonstrate and lead on the behaviours, initiatives and culture of the organisation
- Professional expertise, a strong working knowledge of employment law issues, payroll, as well as experience of employee relations
- Demonstrated coaching and mentoring at all levels
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.