- Operational Engineering
- Singapore - Advanced Manufacturing
There was a time in our history when all people knew Dyson for was vacuums. But what began with one man and one idea inside a coach house in Wiltshire, has since transformed into an 14,000-strong global technology company spanning multiple product categories and more than 70 countries around the world.
But the transformation of Dyson is far from over. Our technology pipeline stretches 30 years into the future and will see more new product categories emerge – four by 2022 alone. Dyson’s place in the connected world sits at the heart of our strategy – our future is increasingly cantered on digital technologies that are intelligent and connected. Critical to this transformation and growth agenda is our manufacturing and procurement team.
Our Singapore story began in 2004 and today we have more than 2,000 people working here. At the beginning of 2017 we opened our new, state of the art, Singapore Technology Centre in Science Park I, minutes from Singapore’s technology and start-up community. This new Technology Centre houses some of Dyson’s most advanced facilities including Robotics and Sensors laboratories and Smart Home, Connectivity & Mobile Applications laboratories as well as an Advanced Control Tower with the latest technology to develop its analytics-driven activities.
The Head of Manufacturing Engineering, Energy Storage, shall lead the manufacturing process definition, and industrialization, including brown and or green field start-up, and hand over to general management operations within the factory once full ramped to sustaining operations. The successful candidate shall work closely with Research Design & Development (RDD) engineering, facilities, equipment suppliers, and other, to define the specifications required for manufacturing of battery cell and battery pack manufacturing. Additionally, the role shall deliver a value driven manufacturing engineering strategy, ensuring the most efficient and most sustainable investment return for Dyson. The role is based in South East Asia, leveraging Dyson’s production equipment suppliers to mass produce the Dyson’s energy storage solutions.
About the role:
• Minimum experience required is typically a bachelor’s degree with minimum 12 years of experience in advanced manufacturing engineering, preferably within high precision environment.
• Strong process knowledge in battery cell and battery pack manufacturing, including automated process development and manufacturing operations. Experience in AI and digital twin, and smart digitalisation in general would be advantageous.
• Product development with Proof of Principle and scale experience from pilot line to mass production.
• New factory start-Up experience is preferable.
• Track record with Strategy for mass production operational excellence.
• At least 5 years in a senior leadership role in factory operations or mass production environment.
• Strong background in automation technology for advance manufacturing.
• Strong cross functional management experience in a fast-paced technology environment, developing novel test methods both electrical and mechanical as well as software.
• Strong people management and project management skills.
• Experience in operating and developing an automated production system and process for ensuring a value driven maximum ROI at minimum CAPEX cost.
• Strong background in 6 Sigma / data-based analysis of process performances preferable.
• Experience in managing CAPEX budgets and selecting and approving suppliers for procurement purposes.
• Proven track record delivering results under pressure, with compressed development schedules .
• Experience in automating solutions for mass production efficiency (Robotics, AIV/AGV, Material Handling Automation).
• Strong background in test methodology, measurement system analysis (GR&R) including statistical process control and process capability / characterization
• Preferable experience in Design for Manufacturing (DFM) methodology
• Factory 4.0 experience (Digital Twin, Tecnomatix Simulation, MES, Big Data etc.)
• Sound knowledge and track record in automation safety (CE marking / safety circuits)
- A long-term thinker, working within a disruptive agenda
- Commercial awareness:
- Technical, personal and leadership credibility combined with commercial awareness, to work effectively across other functions in RDD &Operations as well as Commercial. Legal, Claims, Performance and our Markets.
- High impact and influential, listened to. Able to think on your feet, smart.
- Adapt at reading the future and being able to deliver to that, at pace, ahead of the game. Situations change rapidly so resilience and ability to adapt quickly are key.
- Continuous improvement mindset and seeks out differences and challenges assumptions.
- Has courage and is bold. Perseveres to get the best result.
- Much of what we do hasn’t been done before. You’ll need to be a problem solver who can apply disruptive thinking to get to the right answer. A wrong thinker who spots connections and sees opportunities when others don’t and tests and explores. A pragmatic approach to product development focused on growing the business.
- You’ll need to have a broad engineering knowledge, specifically in the Energy Storage are a, that supports a proven track record of bringing products to market.
- Your responsibilities may be updated as your job role changes
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.