- Design and Development
- United Kingdom - Hullavington Office
The ‘Head of Product, Global Connectivity’ is a highly experienced business and technology product management expert and a key member of the Global Connectivity team, within Dyson. It is a key role in shaping the Connectivity product to deliver value to the business and our Owners. Reporting into the VP of Global Connectivity, they lead a highly professional team of product owners and collaborate with multiple teams across Dyson – all who aspire to world class execution and have a keen focus on realising business outcomes that benefit both Dyson and end user. The role is responsible for leading large teams across multiple functions and regions to interpret and execute large scale Connectivity digital projects that enable Dyson to realise key strategies and cash benefits
Dyson is a global technology company with a unique philosophy - to solve problems that others ignore, first. It transforms every category it enters with radical and iconic re-inventions that work, perform, and look vastly different.
Five years ago, 80% of Dyson’s business was full-sized vacuum cleaners. Today, its digital motor-powered cordless vacuums, robots, Airblade hand dryers, bladeless fans, humidifiers, purifiers and heaters are powering its growth in 75 countries around the world. 2015 saw the addition of Jake Dyson Light to the portfolio, and in April 2016 Dyson took its biggest leap yet, revolutionising the world of health and personal care with the launch of the Dyson Supersonic™ Hairdryer and since then bringing new pioneering Personal Care machines to market through Dyson Airwrap and Dyson Coralle.
Dyson is rapidly expanding; in its new and core categories, and across all of its global markets. The next five years are going to be Dyson’s biggest and busiest yet. By 2025, there will be 100 new machines, 3 new product portfolios and Dyson’s headcount will have grown. With this pace of growth, these ambitious plans, and the complexities of global expansion, it is natural that Dyson is now thinking about the best ways to organise itself and manage its exciting new product ranges to best effect.
Dyson’s culture is unique; dynamic, inventive, technology-obsessed and decidedly un-corporate. The mindset is geared to constant change and Dyson’s pace brings constant challenge. It’s not easy or comfortable, but it’s this way of working that drives performance. Dyson suits people with the courage and resilience to find their own way, spotting opportunities where others don’t, and having the self-belief to persevere where others give up. “Good enough” isn’t good enough. Experiences are more important than experience. And attitude counts as much as aptitude.
Competitors are expanding reach and bringing products into the marketplace. However, Dyson differentiates through our superior technology and also the unique experiences that we bring to our Owners. Connectivity gives us a unique platform to provide differentiating experiences for our Owners through the Dyson Link App. However, we need to manage this ambition in a more efficient and agile way, bringing new technology to markets faster, reacting to Owner expectations quicker and leading the market in more innovative ways.
Dyson Connectivity is responsible for defining a world-class Connected strategy, product and owner experience in the Dyson Link App, to help take this amazing technology to market, explaining how our machines are different and their benefits. Where we demonstrate our machines and their superiority we win. Where we solve owner problems at speed, first time we win. But we also want to prevent issues from happening by analysing the data from sensors in our machines and the owner profiles we hold. We are also responsible for the development and delivery of the Connected features within the Dyson Link App and Cloud.
The next period of Dyson’s growth will see us taking our technology into more markets, doubling the business and quadrupling Direct. It will see our Owner base grow rapidly to 100m and a focus on both acquiring more Owners and retaining the Owners we have.
Our vision is to help Dyson owners get the very best out of their Dyson machines, through effortless ownership and personalised Care, by assisting them in simple, elegant, and unexpected ways, using technology and data intelligently.
Our mission is to form a high-performing team to define a world-class Connected strategy and a reimagined Connected way of working and governance, harnessing data to create superior product and owner experiences, building a platform of trust with our owners and a community of Dyson advocates who will return to purchase from us again.
Connectivity will rely heavily on harnessing the power of data to provide insights back to the various areas of the business – NPI, RDD, Customer Services, Owner experience and GTM teams, to help make data-based decisions. Connectivity will also help us provide a more agile, mission based operating model. One which will enable us to continue our journey but in a more structured and efficient ways.
We are on an exciting Connected journey where our emphasis is around providing a better owner experience for our Owners. To this end, we are investing heavily in bringing together machine, app and owner data to bring bespoke recommendations – whether it be in help/support/guidance/repair/parts/machines – to our owners when they need it.
Key accountabilities are:
- Product Management
- Define and help design Connected digital and data products and the platforms needed to enable them. Ownership of the Connected digital products and their performance overtime
- Help define the functional organisation shape, skill sets, delivery, process, and tools working with adjacent functions to understand their needs from Connectivity and what Connectivity will deliver to them.
- Build and maintain a detailed, integrated, prioritised backlog to deliver all Global Connectivity products and associated values / KPIs. This will require the role to solve unique and difficult problems with scalable solutions that will deliver the business outcomes required.
- Has accountability for the performance and results of the App, defining what improvements need to be made to exceed targets and prioritising projects using WSJF (Weighted Shortest Job First) approach, defining resource need and ensuring use cases are delivered with privacy by design built in.
- Accountable for ensuring that the insights feed from BI and Data Science ensures that the large PO and Software/IT resources are working on the most valuable user stories.
- Work with the wider Connectivity team to create and maintain a product roadmap with up to a 5-year horizon with clearly defined value.
- Ensure Global Connectivity product initiatives are well structured, planned and executed
- Understand the use cases and epics for Connectivity and what the roadmaps, resources and budgets required would be
- Manage the key interdependencies within roadmaps, BAU releases and in the wider Dyson business including Global IT product management teams.
- Works with the Global Connectivity stakeholders and their peers to manage changes in product direction, roadmap direction, scope, costs, resources, and timing.
- Provide direction for all product delivery risks and issues ensuring effective mitigations and resolutions are in place escalating to the right governance structures where appropriate.
- Provides input to Connectivity strategy and develops plans to deliver results in Dysons environment
- Responsible for inputting into the early-stage requirements to ensure that the Connectivity needs are known and captured in spec and business cases
- Shape an efficient approach to build early, prove a concept, iterate, and shape demand so projects move quickly into early-stage development.
- Source new, innovative digital technologies, partners that may help accelerate and de-risk our delivery.
- Governance and stakeholder management
- Lead and run the Monthly Category reviews and Leadership forums to demonstrate performance progress and align on prioritisation calls.
- Support the POs in the scrum of scrums and ensure that the enablers and blockers are clearly documented with mitigation plans in place.
- Ensure product delivery is clearly defined with assumptions and success criteria agreed with stakeholders in the setup and beyond.
- Accountable for ensuring the Software and IT leads know what the roadmap looks like and discuss platform, architecture requirements well ahead so that any integrations are well planned, managed and delivered.
- Define, implement, and manage pragmatic but robust project governance across the portfolio.
- Oversee Product owners to ensure larger initiatives are under control and have the appropriate level of stakeholder sponsorship and engagement.
- Oversee Business Change teams ensuring the right level of in-market & customer engagement, training, and enablement.
- Team leadership
- Responsible for managing a large team that is made up of direct and indirect reports. This team will be made up of App & Cloud software engineers, mechanical engineers, release train engineers, scum-masters, commercial leads, customer service representatives, data analysts, IT delivery leads and product owners.
- Responsible for escalating decisions required for both direct and indirect teams to solve problems for them
- Setup well organised management meetings, 1:1s, stand-ups and team meetings (scrum like) according to the SAFe approach we use
- Take personal accountability for quality and accuracy of Global Connectivity product management performance and deliverables. Do not accept ‘average’ or ‘Ok’, only excellence is acceptable.
- Provide coaching to members of the team and concise, actionable, feedback where required.
- Build a PO community amongst the different functions that the team engage with frequently to share best practice, learnings, and insights
- Accountable for ensuring that the right architectural, technical and data problems have been identified and addressed
- Accountable for ensuring that the right BRDs (Business Requirements Document) have been fed into and that requirements, actors and candidates are validated, known, and captured.
- Accountable for ensuring that the Software and IT delivery teams have the right level of information, ux and requirements well ahead of increment planning to ensure the ask is known, been understood, and planned into the next increments.
- Responsible for ensuring that the right resource and skill sets and mitigations are in-place and whether these are in-house or 3P with the appropriate budgets in place.
- Responsible for validating the test plans with the right business input to the test and sign-off from the test process before release.
- Responsible for ensuring that the PO team is contributing high-level of quality deliverables for the project milestones to enable rapid approval and at key moments.
Key experience required:
- 12+ years’ experience in managing and developing software and/or IoT products
- A proven record in Product delivery with a focus on Technology and/or Manufacturing
- Experience defining digital/IoT product roadmaps with clearly defined priorities that are built collaboratively with design, UX and engineering peers (software and mechanical)
- 7+ years’ experience managing Product owners and a portfolio of multiple products and teams
- Expert knowledge of Confluence / Jira and ability to work with PMO and other teams to build good practice.
- Proven experience presenting concepts to creatives and engineers
- In depth knowledge and experience of all stages of the product lifecycle, including development of business cases, use cases, research & mobilisation of programmes.
- Good knowledge of programme and project management methods including SAFe, DSDM / Agile PM and PRINCE2.
- Strong expertise in the technical elements of Connectivity – chipsets, software (embedded, app, cloud, innovative solutions) and a pov on the technical future of Connectivity
- Experience of working for a consultancy or other professional services organisation.
- Experience in managing offshore/remote teams
- A strong agent of change.
- Business case development and benefit realisation around tightly prioritised backlogs.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Strong stakeholder management skills.
- Good business sense, with business and/or functional knowledge.
- Be capable of visualising a problem context/situation, develop several resolution options and think them through from concept to implementation.
- Have a clearly methodical approach and be data literate
- Natural leader that can deal with a level of ambiguity that comes from an entrepreneurial culture
- Strong people manger that can grow and run a high-performing team
- Excellent communication skills and customer facing skills, ability to communicate complex ideas simply at all levels of the organisation but particularly the Executive and non-Executive board.
- A skilled negotiator
- Process focus and detail orientated without losing bigger picture
- Self-motivated, dynamic and results-driven
- Inquisitive, proactive and innovative
- Open, honest and responsible
- Team player
- Comfortable dealing with external suppliers in complex high-pressured commercial arrangements
- Sensitive to cultural differences across Dyson Worldwide
Dyson is an equal opportunity employer. We know that great minds don’t think alike, and it takes all kinds of minds to make our technology so unique. We welcome applications from all backgrounds and employment decisions are made without regard to race, colour, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other any other dimension of diversity.
We are following the government guidelines regarding COVID19. At this time all interviews will be conducted via video or telephone. We’re taking these precautionary measures to protect both our employee and candidate wellbeing. Our Talent Acquisition team will work with you and provide further information as appropriate.